Friday, May 22, 2009

W.O.F. 60 OLD GREEN FRIEND


This is a Norfolk Island Pine that is now taller than I am by a large number of inches. It was a housewarming present when we moved into our house in, um, 1980. Back then, it was handed over to us in a small pot, and was maybe 18 or 20 inches tall.

Now it summers outside and winters in the parlor. I just dragged it outside yesterday and took this picture.

The Norfolk has seen better days. It only has about two tiers of healthy branches right now, making it look like something out of Dr. Seuss. But it's family and we will see it through. I think it will get a decent growth spurt now that it is outside with its "friends".

And that little plant down in the pot in that picture up above - an aloe plant that hangs out with it.

3 comments:

Pigeon said...

Wow, I'm surprised that it isn't taller than that because it's almost 30 years old. Is it a dwarf variety?

Cassie said...

This post made me laugh hysterically. That Norfolk Pine may be family, but I think I'm gonna report you to CPS (Child Protective Services)...or is it TPS?? I've never seen such a sad looking speciman...do you ever feed it or do you keep it locked in the basement in the winter time? hahahahahaha. Dr. Suess would be proud of you.

Minerva said...

I like the second picture. It looks like a different tree. You've kept it green for 30 years- that's something.