Friday, April 4, 2008

W.O.F. 7 - meet the VioTar


Last week we introduced you to our son's creation, the "GuaNo": half guitar, half piano, sort of. This week, it's his second creation, the "VioTar". Yep, half violin, half guitar. A crazy hybrid that's a little bit rock 'n' roll, and a little bit, er, classical?

There was this part of a guitar he found one trash pickup day, and he pretty much created a new body to anchor the strings to, took a friend's bow, and here it is. I guess it tunes like a guitar. The strings are all in a line so you have to play pretty much an end string or else all of 'em, chord-like, unlike a violin where the strings are arched so you can play each one individually. Editor's note: Correction: There is an attempt to have the strings arched. Note the curved plastic bridge on the top picture. I guess Perlman could have played this thing after all.

Though he figured out a pretty good technique on the GuaNo, I'm not sure this one got quite as perfected. But here it is anyway, in all its glory.


P.S. I am glad I ventured into his room. Found some more artifacts (although not musical inventions; I think we've run our course on those) for future W.O.F.'s.

6 comments:

Minerva said...

Quite the imagination, that boy.

Anonymous said...

You would have to have very long arms to play that like a violin.

Ben said...

Pigeon - I have no idea how he planned to play that thing. I think he held it like a guitar, not up to his chin.

Jessica said...

I bet my son would like to get his hands on that. Neat.....

gerry said...

It is amazing to me how musical your entire family is. I think is looks futuristic. Maybe George Lucas could put it in the next Star Wars movie.

Anonymous said...

the strings definitely were arched. i popped all of the frets out of the neck and then took a power sander to it for about 4 hours to give the neck a nice arch, and then made an arched bridge. also i held it like a guitar, with strap, but angled a little more up and down, closer to parallel to my body so that i could bow across the body. i neverdid get that good with a bow though