Tuesday, April 8, 2008

mandatory walk around the block


The dog lays down the law nightly and coaxes us into walking her somewhere. This has been the routine for thirteen years and it's not about to stop now. So we took a walk around the block and here were a few of the things we saw.

First, about a block away, these people have this incredible wood sculpture behind a fairly tall fence, in their back yard. An eagle that has caught a fish in its talons, banking harshly. I have not discovered if this was carved out of a tree trunk, but I would guess that it was. It may be 12 feet tall.
















Next, we passed the local gas station. We did not like what we saw, but I was able to get all smug about buying a tankful for $3.17.9 this morning. What a dumb thing to get all smug about!



We checked in down the street to see if the buzzards were still in residence. Indeed, they were, but as I just had the pocketable Sony with me, with about a 3x zoom, you'll have to take my word that they are up there (in the circle...)

There's one on the wing, headed for those beloved pines.




And finally, Silky made the traditional stop at the big old oak tree on the corner. I believe this is where dogs from this part of town get their information about who's been by. We chop down trees and make paper, then print messages on the paper and distribute them to get our news. Dogs have this advanced sense of smell where they can gather their news straight from the tree. Brings a different angle to the term "news hound", I guess.

3 comments:

Minerva said...

I like that eagle.

The gas station is called "Rich". There's a pun in there somewhere.

Ben said...

I almost made a pun about it - but thought I'd let it stand on its own.

gerry said...

That wood carving in unbelievable. At first I thought it was real. There is an old house I pass on the drive home that has a long driveway with older trees lining it. Three of the trees looks like they have been wind damaged and they have been carved into a bear, an eagle and an owl. It amazes me each time I pass bye.