Friday, June 13, 2008

W.O.F.16 A Lotta Bull

Driving west on U.S. Route 224 from Findlay to the Village of Ottawa, you pass through the small town of Gilboa, distinguished mainly by a big grain elevator right off 224. Well, there's that elevator and then the big cow. Technically, I guess, it's a bull. Situated at the entrance to the Gilboa community park is this bovine masterpiece. It's probably at least twelve feet tall. I didn't measure it, but I had to stop on my way back from a meeting in Ottawa and take a couple pictures. Here it is with my car off to the side, to give some idea of scale:
I understand from a friend at work that there is a big chicken somewhere in southwestern Ohio. Perhaps some day I will have the opportunity to snap that one as well, and add to my collection of Huge Barnyard Critters.

10 comments:

gerry said...

Do I have a cow for you. One of the local ice creams makers comes to events with a cow advertising the ice cream.

Ben said...

get a picture!

Anonymous said...

Is it a random cow or is there meaning behind it?

Ben said...

I don't think there is any meaning or connection. Just something to make people stop and take pictures, notice there is a town there, etc.

Ben said...

...a random act of cowness, if you will...

Minerva said...

Today on our way to PA, I saw a cow statue about half that size (Gerry, is that the one you are talking about?) and 2 pink pigs with bandanas (at a different location). Guess I should have stopped.

I did not know you had this obsession. Of course I might have guessed, considering your daughter's H.S. graduation lawn decoration. Hey- you MUST find a pic of that and use on a future WOF!!

Jessica said...

Now that is a bunch of bull!

Ben said...

Margaret: Not an obsession. It's just a BIG COW. You'd stop too. I might have a chance to get a shot of the graduation "ornament" - we may be in the vicinity tomorrow if daughter makes good on promise to take Dad out for Father's Day.
Jessica: Yes it is a LOT of bull! You have to look up to that dude.

Minerva said...

Perhaps some day I will have the opportunity to snap that one as well, and add to my collection of Huge Barnyard Critters.

This was the quote that I was referring to when kidding about your obsession. I thought you had some sort of ongoing collection.

Ben said...

Well, at this point, a collection of one. But you have to start somewhere, and the Gilboa Cow's as good a place as any, I suppose.