Monday, June 2, 2008

Reunion Extraordinaire

I just spent three days at Pokagon State Park in Indiana at a family reunion - my mother's side of the family. We had last done this - just the cousins - a month before 9-11-01, so it had been a while. This time, we also got my dad and an aunt to come along, lending a more intergenerational feel to the thing.

Once we started chatting, we picked things up as if we had never let them go. It did not feel like a seven year hiatus. Frankly, it felt like those days back in the 1960's when we all gathered at Grandma's and Grandpa's, back on the Eastern Shore.

Time and geography have a way of separating families, if you let them. I am so glad we made the effort to overcome those obstacles and take time out to let time stand still.

There can be a magic to family reunions such as this, surrounded by an overwhelming aura of decades of shared experiences, right along with new entries into the family circle such as our son in law.

Kind of funny; we named the reunion after the surname of my Mom's parents. None of us actually carry that name since Grandma and Grandpa had three daughters. Yet we all carry that name, really.

Anyhow, the park was a beautiful setting for the event. Others know this; a wedding was taking place outside while we were there.

Here are some pictures of the place and some if its native inhabitants. It will be interesting to see the perspective my sister has on the park as she posts her pictures as well.













5 comments:

Minerva said...

Like the surname, I will happily carry the memories of our trip with me through life. Hope to do it again some time.

Hey, nice picture of the red wing black bird. ;)

Jessica said...

Great photos!! We have a large extended family reunion planned in August that I'm looking forward too. Yours certainly was a success.

Anonymous said...

I glad you had such a nice time. I would love to check out that park myself some day. The pictures of it are so pretty.

gerry said...

Ben, It looks like you all had a wonderful trip. The park looks beautifully peaceful.

Ben said...

Yes, it was a great time. I hope the next reunion comes a little sooner - this one was seven years in the making!