Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Out Like a Wet Lion?

Ever get the feeling something is bearing down on you? It's been rain, rain, and more rain. The weather has had a hazy, hydrogenating hold on our area for a couple days. The property has gone "lakefront" again; gurgling sounds are coming out of the basement.

On the plus side, I grew up upstairs in a Cape Cod style house, and used to love listening to the rain on the roof (cue the Lovin' Spoonful). I even had a rain rating system; a subtle shower may have fetched a 1 or a 2, where a driving downpour rated an 8 or 9, with an occasional monsoon-like 10. Anyhow, our house now is no Cape Cod, and there's an attic between the bedroom and the shingles. But two nights ago, the rain was a-pouring, all night, a lulling sound, and I was just mentally floating along to the peaceful sound. Especially lulling when the bedroom is on the second floor; no worries about riding away on a wall of water.

For all you birders, our beloved buzzards have returned to the 'hood. Uncanny how these travelers show up like clockwork, or maybe calendarwork, and hang with us for a few weeks before moving on to wherever buzzards like to summer. If the rain and mist ever relent, I may venture out and get a picture or two. But somehow that rain and gloom sort of fits the whole essence of buzzardness. Nope, no sunny spring songbirds for us; it's buzzards in the mist!

We have settled in to this new status as dog health care personnel. Our dog requires some looking after, some special care, and some patience. But when she locks eyes with me and gives me that look, the one that says (and I don't think I am over-interpreting) "I am where I should be, and I'm glad and thankful that I'm here", well, we are, too.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are equally soggy over here. I should post a picture of our front lawn, which could be mistaken for a bog these days. I hope your pooch is doing better. I remember when Mocha was very old, whe had to hook her up to a bag of fluids once a day to rehydrate her. The only one of us that had the knack and the patience was my son Ben who was in middle at the time.

Jen said...

One of those rain rain go away days. I hope the buzzards don't want to vacation in KY.

Unknown said...

Benno,

Amazingly, with all that weather lined up on us in southern Ohio, it almost all missed us. It looks like we got about a third of an inch early on Wednesday morning, and a couple of tenths over the weekend.

I did get the impression that the rain was a lot heavier north of us, and the radar snapshot you included sure does emphasis that...

Jessica said...

You can see from that radar that we've gotten our share of the rain too. We have flood warnings all around us. The rivers, streams, ditches and fields are all flooded over. A lot of people are having flood damage to their houses but luckily we are one of them. Stay safe and dry!

Looking forward to seeing photos of those buzzards.

Jessica said...

opp.... meant to say "not" one of them.

Cassie said...

No rain here in Phoenix, though for me it would be a welcome sight. Yes, dog care takers are what we are too. They do seem to appreciate it --- when they're not counter surfing or chewing up something forbidden!