Tuesday, May 15, 2012

BACK TO THE BLOG

I will not let a month go by without posting SOMETHING on this blog.  This is one day - three hours, actually, shy of a month.  I suppose I can say "I've been busy.  No time for such frivolity."  Partially true - it HAS been a busy month.  For example, I have to get up and drive 150 miles tomorrow to a series of meetings in a land far away.  A land where my long-held hotel reservation got "bumped by the White House" because V.P. Joe Biden is visiting the area and they have some sort of right to go and reserve a slew of rooms and kick us commoners to the curb.  They wanted to send me 20 miles up the river.  I said nyet to that and we found an accommodating place just six miles away.  Now I fear I will be dodging motorcades and all that.  And avoiding that original hotel like the plague.  You know what them Secret Service boys attract to such places!  Ain't getting caught up in that!  

 Okay; two pictures.  The first being an interesting bird multi-unit dwelling alongside the lakefront park in Lorain, Ohio.  Kind of a cool thing, and it looks like it is rented up.  The Lorain lighthouse can be seen in the distance.
The second being the facade of Severance Hall, where about a month ago, my wife, a friend, and I took in a concert - the Cleveland Music Institute or such, and a huge choir, doing Mahler's Symphony No. 2, which is quite a ride.  It was excellent, and the accommodations were exquisite.  Severance is a wonderful venue, with the largest, deepest stage around.  

And a shout out to the Q'doba (did I get that right?) about a block and a half away right on Euclid.  The staff there were the most empathetic, people-oriented, caring staff I have ever encountered in such a place.  Absolutely astounding service and humanity to go with those pretty good super-filled burrito things.  

OK - I hope to appear here more frequently; pick up the pace a bit.  To be honest, this blog is searching for some sort of uniform voice, some theme, some thread that can carry it.  I am all over the place.  I could easily do music reviews, but that is a bit too nich-y (as opposed to Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche, the  German philosopher, poet, composer and classical philologist.)  Although, yeah, I want to come across here as a philosopher, poet, composer, and, yes, by all means, a phililogist.  Are they legal?  Hang on...

Ok, it turns out that philology is the study of language in written historical sources; it is a combination of literary studies, history and linguistics. Honestly, I really don't want to do that.  But the other items, sure.  And I take a few pictures along the way, as well.  

Anyhow, this whole post has been what my college roommate, who took a psych class or two (actually, I did too - and he was in the class.  It was not a very good class, but the subject intrigues me), referred to, correctly, as "displacement activity".  I need to be doing something else right now, but this is less taxing, more fun.  So I am avoiding some homework-like stuff.  I guess I do have this long drive tomorrow, so I shall get on that assignment and call it a post for now.    

Until next time, here is a pretty nice shot of the State Capitol building and other architecture down in Columbus, Ohio.   
 

3 comments:

George said...

I'm always glad to see you in Blogland. I enjoyed seeing the picture of Severance Hall. I attended a concert there many years ago.

Connie said...

Nice to see you back. The bird houses look like an apartment building for the feathered folk. :-D The picture of Columbus brought back memories for me. My Dad took me to see the State Capitol building when I was in the 8th grade. We were in Columbus at the time because I won the county spelling bee, and I was there for the state competition. I finished in 13th place in the state. Ha! Apparently, I wasn't very lucky that day!

Gordon said...

Glad to see you back Grandpa to be. I figured you weren't writing since you were trying to deal with the impending big event.

The picture of Columbus brought back memories also. Senior year at Wesleyan when I had a car we would escape Deleaware for the "big city."