Friday, February 25, 2011

Five Oddball Things in our Kitchen

This picture is just tossed in extraneously. It would have been a more soothing photo if the photog's hand were not holding the dog's head down. The animal was unharmed.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *
I have been derelict in my blog citizenship lately, letting days, if not weeks, slide by. I finally got a sort of "day off" today, when a rather intimidating snow storm hit our part of the world, and I decided to compensate for already having worked over 40 hours this week. Anyhow, in my down time, I noticed that some time last week, my sister put up this post asking people to show off five odd things that can be found in their kitchens.

Well, those who have been in our house know it is a museum of sorts, so this was no big challenge. I give you: the Kitchen Kollection (some of which has been featured in long-ago posts about Weird Objects).

1. THE BIG HAMMER. This inflatable hammer was "won" by this writer in some seminar where they presented the information in the form of a game of "Jeopardy". Somehow I won, and the prize was this hammer. It makes a little squeaky sound when you wallop someone with it. Kind of amusing.

2. MICHAEL JORDAN NERF BALL HOOP. Remove the hammer, and you discover that its holder is another artifact. You can tell this thing is ancient. Not only is Michael in uniform and playing, but he has HAIR in the backboard picture.


3. FISHER PRICE ACTIVITY CENTER: Ever since our kids were babies, we have had this "busy box" or whatever they call 'em on a closet door, down at cherub's eye level. The kids are all up and out of here, but this thing remains, occasionally used by a visiting toddler.


4. WIND-UP TOY COLLECTION: My wife loves wind-up toys, and displays a good bit of her collection in this converted spice rack in the kitchen.

5. COW PIE BINGO RENDERINGS: And finally, this piece takes a little 'splainin'! Once evening, our son and a friend drew these lovely diagrams on post-it notes. Have you ever gone to a county fair or a charity function where they play what is affectionately referred to as "Cow Pie Bingo?" Where they grid off a field with a couple cows, let people bet on a selected square in the grid, and then let nature run its course? That is what these drawings are attempting to portray. Why, I dunno. But I think they may fetch some big money at Sotheby's some day. For now, they "hang" in our kitchen "gallery".

3 comments:

Connie said...

Well, I thoroughly enjoyed this list. I got a good laugh. I'm glad you played along.

That snow storm was something else, wasn't it. Although, this afternoon the sun came out shining brightly. Hard to believe it looked like a blizzard out there just a few hours before.

George said...

Thanks for sharing these five oddball things in your kitchen. I'm reluctant to show the oddball things in our kitchen!

Minerva said...

I think you might be the winner on the odd kitchen stuff. Even the re-posted ones are entertaining again! Good list. That ramp-walking pig on the spice rack is bringing up some major childhood memories..Think I'll go check out Ebay..