Sunday, August 22, 2010

this week's color: YELLOW

From the collection at Geppi's Entertainment Museum (read on...)

Well, unlike Orange last week, I could not pin down some major life-changing era that involved the color yellow. My past is littered with a few yellow items, such as (my sister reminded me of this one) our elementary school bus. We lived a little too close to the school for free transport, so our parents paid a full dollar per week so we could ride what was affectionately known as the "pay crate". Yeah, it was an old bus, with an old driver, who even had an old bus driver type name: Mr. Meekins. The only notable "pay crate" experience I can recall is when we would round a corner some days, and we'd all crowd over on the "outside" side of the bus to see if we could tip it over. Never came close. They build those things pretty much kid-tip-proof.

More recently, we just got back from a vacation to my homeland (Baltimore) with a brief stop on the way in the Pennsylvania Laurel Highlands area. Their Ohiopyle State Park is a very nice blend of hills, woods, and waterfalls.

While in Baltimore, we met some friends at one of those outdoor "lifestyle centers" that have overtaken malls. In the center of all the stores and restaurants was this fountain that turned yellow at night.
Also in Baltimore, we checked out a thing called Geppy's Entertainment (Popular Culture) Museum. There were some yellow things there, so they will have to do as far as photographic representation goes. On the way in, we were met by this yellowish nature scene amongst the lantana.
Now, on into the museum. One of the first exhibits, from earlier history, was practically a whole room devoted to a character known as "The Yellow Kid". I guess he was part of his creator's contribution to what became the first regularly featured comic, Hogan's Alley. I am hoping that my son does not read this post (pretty good chance he won't) because this character quite creeped him out...and for good reason. I won't get into his whole history, but it involves some social commentary and the little booger seemed to lead young 'uns into a life of drink, smoke, and severe mis-spelling. He looked like this:
Let's move on. Remember "Jeep" from the Popeye cartoons? Well, here he is in all his glory:

Who wouldn't want a plush Ms. Pac Man of their own? And in this liberated age, what kind of a name is Ms. Pac Man, anyway? Should it not be Ms. Pac Woman?
And finally, I think this product right here pretty much summarizes all that is great about American popular culture. I am certain that we hit a cultural peak, an apex if you will, when the Quaker Oats folks signed the contract with Mr. T to roll these bad boys out.
Just for the heck of it, here are a couple more pictures from the trip, just because. Have a great week; for more yellow goodness, visit Jen's blog.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Monday Ben! Sounds like a great trip and I enjoyed the pictures. The yellow fountain is very pretty. Hope you have a great week.

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

the second photo, looks like the lake is on fire. Great shot.

Janet said...

Thanks for jogging my memory of Beanie and Cecil. What fun! Love the fountain photo. Great post!

Jen said...

Oh I "Pity the Fool" that didn't grow up with all these characters. HA!
Great yellow post Ben-have a good week

Loui♥ said...

Hi Ben..
Excellent and divers yellow subjects!
loved the just because outdoor scenes..
and Ollie has an invitation here if you ever tire of his energetic disposition.
warmest sandy hugs..
Loui♥

Cassie said...

You totally cracked me up with this post. I SO remember piling onto one side of the school bus and trying to tip it over. What were we thinking?! The boys would all yell (together),"Look out or you'll kill us all!!"---those were the days. I really do not remember that yellow character though...maybe it was a Maryland thing? Have a great week Ben!

Minerva said...

Wm. ain't the only one that was creeped out by Yellow Boy. "Hully Gee".

Jen, you beat me to it. I was getting ready to type out a comment that included "I pity the fool"!

Good pictures. I didn't even see you snapping most of them!

Busy Bee Suz said...

Tipping the school bus? I have nightmares like this...
Love that yellow fountain.
I can't believe I did not have any Mr. T. cereal. :)

Gerald Neily said...

The Yellow Kid pictures in the Geppi Museum are WAAAAAAAYYYYYY creepier than the one you poached from the internet. Their Yellow Kid looked like a mutant who emerged from a primordial sludge dump. Those Ninja turtles were definitely not the first cartoon mutants !!!!!

And you forgot the foremost yellow cartoon characters of all time - The Simpsons. Cue to the Coldplay song !!!!!!

SusanB-knits said...

Great photos! I remember Beany and Cecil, and Jeep, and Pac Mac but missed out on the Mr T cereal, lol. We lived close enough to school that I walked so no bus tipping for me.

Susie said...

Hey Ben, I enjoyed this post much. Loved the bus story.

I had forgotten Jeep from Popeye. Thanks for the memory.

I like your water pics. Looks like a nice place to visit.

Connie said...

I enjoyed the nostalgic yellows here, Ben. Nice little trip down memory lane for me. The butterfly and fountain pictures are really neat too. Have a good week! :)

Gordon said...

Glad to have provided you with a yellow subject for this weeks blog.Don't forget about Big Bird.

Lynne said...

Been great catching up with you. I'd forgotten all about Jeep.

Gerald Neily said...

In honour of the Geppi Museum in Baltimore, I've decided to compile a ranking of the Top Ten hottest women on the Baltimore Sun comic page:

10 - Alice (Dilbert) - Love the triangular hair and fist of death.

9 - Curtis' Rival Michelle - Was hot before she gained 100 lbs. so she can be again.

8 - Cathy - Give her credit for trying harder than anyone else, especially in bikini season.

6+7 (Tie) - Sally Forth and Blondie - Could be good looking but desperately need makeovers, especially hair.

5 - Tiffany (Luann's Fr-enemy) - Not that great but love the self-confidence.

4 - Hagar's Daughter - Love that Madonna bra.

3 - Miss Buxley (Beetle Bailey) - An all time fave.

2 - Luann - Her intimidation by the stuck up Tiffany only adds to the cuteness of her teenage angst. Great makeover a few years ago.

1 - Family Circle Mom - She's been wearing a bikini on this year's vacation, and wow, she has an amazing bod for a woman with three kids, especially the tiny waist.