Friday, August 13, 2010

ORANGE MEMORIES

I know I am going to be away from this blog for a few days, so I had better take care of the next color in the spectrum right now. Last week, Jen started this meme where we do something about a different color each Monday. Last week was red; this Monday's is orange...

Ah, orange, the color that started it all, or at least my new life here in northern Ohio. I had taken a job up here knowing nobody. The landlord told me there was this young schoolteacher who had just moved in downstairs. I got around to meeting her and, before we knew it, we were out on the town on exciting dates at, say, the laundromat, or the bowling alley.

Anyhow, at the time, she APPEARED to be quite the fan of the color ORANGE. Her apartment reeked of the color: big ol' orange shag carpet.
Entertaining my college room mate in the apartment with the orange carpet, circa 1979.
Note the orange curtains. I'm on the left, dapper in the hat.

Her car, a bright orange Chevy VEGA. Yes, it was a laughable model and not a highlight in the annals of the history of General Motors, but next to my ancient, rusting Volkswagen Beetle complete with holes in the floorboards and a dubious heating system, it was a fine ride.
Off we go on our wedding day in that car of dreams, the mighty orange Vega...

Well, it turns out that she is (thankfully) not really a big orange fan; that's just what was happening in the late '70s. We are more into blues and natural wood and such now, although we still have the orange piano bench that came with the piano we bought the night before the blizzard of '78. It is orange's last hurrah around here, at least outside of Halloween.

13 comments:

Connie said...

Very nice post, Ben. During the blizzard of '78, I was trapped in the dorm at Bowling Green State University as a freshman. We had no electric or heat and such for five days. Quite an adventure. :) Hope you have a nice weekend!

Minerva said...

Daisy- I was trapped in a dorm at Wooster!
Ben- I don't remember you guys having the orange Vega, but I do remember that beetle with its built-in "air conditioning".

Connie said...

HA HA HA! Small world, isn't it, Margaret! :D

Gerald Neily said...

Orange you glad?

Anonymous said...

Love this post Ben! I think I had that same orange shag carpet in my college dorm room! What a cute orange car!

Rosie @ Centre of Interest said...

I can remember in the 70's orange was a popular colour in the soft furnishings in our home. Lovely seeing your photos from yesteryear.

:) Rosie

Jen said...

I sure remember those lovely hues of orange shag carpeting from the 70's. Mine was the yellow.
And now we know how you and your wife met....
:) and she's still doing your laundry.

Loui♥ said...

Ben..
super post!
i too remember all the hideous orange shag carpeting..have been i some homes of late which are still sporting that stuff.,,ugh!
have a colorful Monday!
Loui♥

Susie said...

Cute post Ben! Orange carpet?!?! Oh my goodness.

SusanB-knits said...

We had some long orange shag carpet in the late 70's! We even had a carpet rake to use on it. wow! memories!

George said...

This is a cute 'orange' post. It seems that orange worked out very well for you.

Cassie said...

You're right, the 70's (& late 60's) were full of orange drapes,carpets,cars,clothes. Maybe that's why I really have no orange in my home now! Fun post Ben.

Busy Bee Suz said...

This is great. I remember in the 70's we had orange everywhere in our house too!