Sunday, May 23, 2010

A-Z Munchin' Mondays: The Letter R

As much as I would love to spend some time with you extolling the virtues of the rutabaga...
well, I am not going to. I am sure it has its place in the pantheon of wonderful foods, in there with turnips and beets and other such things, but I am going to concentrate on something that has taken over my yard...I mean my life.

Raspberries.

Here is what our little ol' raspberry patch looks like today. The bees are working it hard, getting that pollen around, and it looks to be a bumper crop.
If you feel you cannot garden - can't successfully grow anything - try your hand at raspberries. These little darlin's will take over your garden and your yard if you let 'em. This is our crop of red ones. It's nuts, how they have grown. We are now digging them up as they cross various borders into areas of raspberra non grata.

I do enjoy walking out in the morning and picking a handful of the berries to toss on my cereal. Or just to eat by themselves.

Six of us took a three-week trip across the USA in an Oldsmobile station wagon in 1998. I sometimes refer to it as "the best three weeks of my life", and in some ways it truly was. One thing I did along the trip was develop an addiction for raspberry iced tea. I got it in my head that it was better for me than, say, a diet coke, with perhaps less sodium, and, you know, "real fruit". Anyhow, ever since that journey, I have probably quaffed a few hundred gallons of the stuff.
Just yesterday, in a restaurant, I was all ready to order the customary raspberry iced tea, and...I did not order it. I decided to find out what all this fuss is about an "Arnold Palmer". Why is a mixture of lemonade and iced tea named for a golfer? What does a Jack Nicklaus taste like? Anyhow, it struck me as a bit sour, so I added one little paper container of Splenda (R) and it was pretty good. I may try it again. But I digress from the letter at hand.
The "Arnold Palmer"

Other R foods worthy of some praise include: roast beef (I don't have it often, but I loves it when I do!); Reuben sandwiches (excellent combination of food ingredients that I never would have thought to put together - although I tend to cheat these days and get the turkey Reuben); raisins (we always have some around, mix 'em with nuts, toss 'em on cereal when raspberries are out of season...), and rhubarb pie (when it is done right, it is wonderful). I am probably missing a few important ones, but R is a pretty good food letter.

And we didn't even discuss riboflavin...
More discussion of foods beginning with this letter over at the creator of this whole meme, Jen.

13 comments:

Connie said...

Rutabaga I can survive quite nicely without. HA! I do like raspberries and raisins, though. Happy Monday, Ben! :)

Anonymous said...

A great R post Ben. Amazing how your raspberries are growing! I'll have to try the raspberry tea - it sounds very tasty on a hot Georgia afternoon.

Jen said...

Oh I wish I was a bird in your yard. I would eat all those raspberries in a day! :D
Happy Monday Ben.

Loui♥ said...

Ben..
perfect post..
loved all your R stuff..
run over to my place and check it out..
hugs.. Loui♥

Cassie said...

Now, I'm glad to know that raspberries are so prolific, as our neighbor just gave me a bunch of little raspberry plants on Sat. Haven't planted them yet, but guess I better think twice where they will go. Should be good in the woods I think, right??

Minerva said...

Aaaugh! Get out of my head! I posted rutabaga too!
I even thought about raspberry iced tea, but figured I'd steal your thunder. After all, you are the raspberry iced tea king! I simply like the Crystal Light variety.
I miss my raspberry bushes that used to line the back of the yard...

Good post.

Minerva said...

Oh yeah, and just to add to the whole family coincidence, I had an Arnold Palmer with lunch today!

Anonymous said...

Regarding the recipe on my blog, you could substitute the diced tomatoes and peppers with any brand, even Mexican salsa if you like or Rotel is available through amazon if not in the local grocery in your area. Thanks for your visit. I hope you like the casserole.

Unknown said...

Wowza, Ben! You sure did give us a plethora of R foods, right down to the nutrient riboflavin!

I was just about ready to heed your advice and grow my own raspberries until you said they will take over the world. I already have that battle going on with other stuff that I don't have a name for.

My son drinks nothing but Arnold Palmers. They don't sound good to me at all.

Ben said...

Jen, believe me, it will take a flock of birds to clean out this crop!
Cassie, pretty sure these things could grow anywhere, although they do seem to like the sunlight.
Marg, great minds (and DNA) think alike...
Mildred, thanks for the substitution suggestion!
GJ - ah, someone mentioned riboflavin! And yes, I do believe raspberries could take over the world if we let them.
Happy Monday to you too Daisy, what's left of it!

Cliff said...

Raspberrys are great, but Eric Carmen has had his probelms with the law lately.

Ben said...

Well he caused his problems - "all by himself"

Gordon said...

Try a Rachel one of these days. I get it at the barbecue stand near my school. It consists of corned beef, cole slaw and thousand isaland dressing all on grilled toast. I got hooked on it when it was a special for St. Patty's Day.