Sunday, May 30, 2010

A-Z Monday: A Smorgasbord of S Foods

The letter S presents a challenge to this food series. There are so many great S foods, yet there is no one in particular that leaps out at me as being THE "S" food. So I must list a handful of the ones that, if they are not leaping out, they are at least limping forward.
First, in honor of Memorial Day, great summer-like weather, and grills being fired up everywhere, we salute the STEAK. What carnivore doesn't like the occasional steak, whether rare ("moo") or well done (charcoal). I prefer somewhere in the middle.
Next up is SPAGHETTI. It is not my favorite Italian dish, but I am always agreeable when Linda says "How about spaghetti tonight?" It's fun. And always entertaining to watch the dog eat a spaghetti noodle.

Then there is the plethora of "S" SEAFOOD: You have your SHRIMP (my sister used to love shrimp on her birthday, for years) and SCALLOPS (my mom used to love scallops, not necessarily on her birthday), and, well, we just had some really tasty SALMON patties.

The salmon patties were helped out, so my son and I thought, by some SALSA. In this case, some salsa verde, you know, the green kind. I got familiar with S.V. during a trip to New Mexico a number of years ago. I noted that the Wendy's in Santa Fe would slather salsa on your burger if so ordered. Salsa is good on lots of things, and not just Mexican food. I am a big fan, although "medium" is about as far as I go, hotness-wise.
A nod to STRAWBERRIES. They are ripening soon if not already around here, and Linda and I will undoubtedly make our annual trip to someone's strawberry patch and pick 'til we're sick of the whole process.
A shout out to the typical lunch menu choices of SOUP, SALAD, and SANDWICH, though we will have to wait until W to cover the increasingly popular Wrap.

Finally, S has the corner on bad breakfast meats. I refer to SPAM, about which the Monty Python troupe wrote a wonderful tribute, and SCRAPPLE, which, along with SAUSAGE (which I admit that I enjoy once in a while), fits into the "don't ask/don'tell the ingredients" category.
To end on a healthful note, we just picked some SPINACH leaves and, along with the salmon and salsa, they helped make a delicious sandwich.

7 comments:

Connie said...

Great collection of "S" foods, Ben. I'm ready for the strawberry season to be here. I LOVE strawberries, and like you, we eat them as much as possible while they are here. It seems like the season for them is so short. Happy Monday!

Minerva said...

Mmmm...shrimp.. Just had some the other night.

I actually like Scrapple once in a blue moon. I don't buy it or cook it, but occasionally get it at a diner with breakfast(about every 2 years or so)

Jen said...

Happy Monday Ben
All these S's are Scrumptious! oh, except that Spam. ha. not tempted by that one at all.

Anonymous said...

Ben, you and my husband would love to go shopping together. You could load up on sno balls and spam and there would be no one to tell you "no!" This was a fun post to read. You have made me hungry for strawberries!

Cliff said...

Super bunch of S foods. I think I will have a salad and a bowl of soup.

Cassie said...

Great S foods Ben. Hope you had a good Memorial Day.

Loui♥ said...

great selections Ben..
wonderful post!
Loui♥