Sunday, February 14, 2010

A-Z Munchin' Monday: What to Do with "D"?

Well, here we are only four weeks in, and I'm drawing a bit of a blank. No big food or beverage starting with a D has leapt out as being instrumental in my life. So I guess I will just have to mention a few at least semi-savory selections that have passed past the lips, over the gums, look out stomach, here it comes...

DOUBLE STUFF COOKIES: I love it when they double down on the icing on those cookies like Oreos. We just went through a package of double iced Keebler elf cookies. The cookies themselves are inane: as if I want to really feast on little elfin creatures with ridiculous puns and slogans written on them. But if you do not gaze upon your prey, they are pretty good, basic junk food. Especially with the double icing. I find myself savoring them, taking small bites, making it last. I don't always do that.

DOG FOOD: (No, this item has not passed past MY lips. It has been sucked down with incredible force and fury into the innards of a large canine). When you get a big dog, we have learned, the dog does everything big. This one we have now, for example, can eat like nobody's business, so we find ourselves returning to the dog food shelves of our local grocery purveyors. We find that when choosing a dog food, it is not easy to strike that balance between affordability and actual nutritious quality. We try to accommodate the latter, but our wallets also lead us toward the former. We have recently brought home Rachel Ray dog food. Seems like a weird product for Rachel to be putting her name all over, but Ollie is a big fan. Of course, so far, I'd say Ollie is a big fan of just about anything edible, and he applies a pretty liberal interpretation of the term, "edible".

DONUTS: I was served a donut just this morning as a Valentine present at church. I have a deep respect for the donut, and its amazing ability to perfectly complement a cup of coffee. However, I am also at the age where donuts are applied straight to your body mass, with some multiplier effect, whereby a four ounce donut adds four POUNDS to your body weight. (I exaggerate, slightly, but I am pretty sure about the multiplier effect. Just don't understand the science behind it).

DIM SUM: Had the real deal once in Chinatown in San Francisco. We were, at the time, possibly the only Caucasians in the place. It was a really fun experience. There was this weird (to our culture, where we basically know how to order at drive-throughs) system where people come up with unidentifiable food objects, ask if you would like one, and if you take one, they stamp your bill with a symbol for that specific item. I was up for the totality of the experience; interpretations were scant, so I am not sure what all we ate that morning, but I tried a lot of things and it was all pretty good (some great) stuff.

DEVILED EGGS: These are good if you get one early in the picnic. If you are at a family reunion or some other "pot luck" event being held outside, and Aunt Molly plunks down the Tupperware container with her famous deviled eggs, you will want to get one of those bad boys early in the feast, before the yellow jackets start their maneuvers and the eggs start spoiling in the sultry 95 degree weather. If they are still cool from Aunt Molly's refrigerator, they can be wonderful. (older people have the wherewithal to prepare their food the night before and refrigerate it; in our generation, we take the food prep right down to the deadline, or in my case, hit up the supermarket on the way to the event for some pre-made, nondescript items, hoping that no relative or fellow employee or whomever calls me out, asking, "So, Ben, what fine entree did you provide us this year?" Ok, ok, the Doritos and Cheez Whiz are mine...)

and finally....
DESSERT. Music to the ears. Multiplier to the belly region.

8 comments:

Connie said...

Excellent list of "D" foods, Ben. I've never tried Dim Sum or Dog food, but the rest sound pretty tasty to me. :-) Donuts are one of my weaknesses. Hope you have a nice week!

Jen said...

Happy Monday Ben
well D was a tough on for me, you sure opened my brain.
I haven't had a good doughnut in a long time, now I am hungry for one or two or three!!
Dog food=Iams for us. They have a weight control brand too and the dogs I have now are the first ones that have not been over weight and have healthy skin and shiny coats.

Anonymous said...

Good Morning Ben, Great photo of Ollie on your header. Love your list of D words and we are hooked on the double stuff Oreos! Harriet can wolf down dog food like a Doberman and like Jen, we use Iams. We love donuts with coffee but as you say, we might s well apply them directly to our mid sections!!! Enjoy your week.

Cliff said...

So far as I've checked around, Jen has had the only "D" I can partake of. Makes me glad I live too far away from a Dunkin Donuts.

Unknown said...

Rachel Ray has a dog food line? I'm going to check it out for JJ.

I love your variety of D's except for the Dim Sum Chinese stuff. But I do love San Francisco and of course the sour dough bread.

Minerva said...

To quote Homer, "Mmmmm....Donuts..."

Dim Sum is something that I always wanted to try. I must find a place around here that serves it.

Najia said...

I hear ya on the Dog Food. It is difficult to find one that meets at the crossroads of affordable and nutritious. I DO taste all of my dogs' food. I know, I'm weird! If I'm unable to eat it, they're not allowed either. Many dog foods say "not for human consumption" and I run from those, no matter how inexpensive they are.

I love donuts. One of my favorite memories from childhood are of my dad bringing home a dozen Dunkin Donuts. A cold glass of milk with chocolate cake donut, ohmigod!

Baby Rocket Dog and Hootie said...

Did somebody say DOG FOOD?? Hmm? Yes? Dog food? We have found just about everything to be dog food. Ask Mom & Dad. Of course there are those store bought bags and cans, but we're talkin' cell phones,tea bags and donuts by the box, alpaca pillows, and one of our favorites, earbuds for the computer. yummy. Thanks Ben for including a post for man's & woman's best friend!
Smooches from pooches,
BabyRocketDog and Hootie

A note from the mom: the dogs have highjacked my computer.My comment is I've never tasted DimSum but have been accused of being dimsum!
Best wishes for the week,Cassie