Sunday, February 28, 2010

A-Z Munchin' Monday - Brought to you by the letter F

OK, I'm not trying to maintain some reputation for bad eating habits, but I surveyed all the foods I could find starting with the letter F, and nothing really leapt out at me. I mean, I like a lot of fish, for instance, such as the first spring run salmon I had in Portland a few years back. That was great. And I really like a lot of fruit, so I was thinking about, for example, the Fuji apples we pick each fall at a nearby orchard. Fujis are my faves, apple-wise.

But ultimately, I have to go with FAST FOOD. Not because I frequent the places, given the fifty-somethings' fascination with cholesterol and blood pressure and sodium and all that. But ah, the memories! Forget the arteries!

Growing up in Baltimore, the first big fast food chain we patronized was Gino's, named for and owned by Gino Marchetti, a pro football player who helped the Baltimore Colts win the NFL championship in pre-Superbowl 1958 and '59.
When Gino's opened uptown, me 'n' the boys would take out pocket change of a summer evening, and walk the mile or so, over the relatively new Baltimore Beltway bridge, where we would pump our fists in the air to get the trucks to give us those thrilling diesel honks, and hang out at Gino's, buying a burger, fries, and in my case, orange soda, for less than a dollar.
Over the years, Gino's, like most local chains, gave in and sold out to a bigger chain; in our case, Roy Rogers. More recently, Roy Rogers has sold out to the Ubiquitous Golden Arches. I was in that very establishment a month ago while visiting "the homeland", and I must say the interior appointments and accoutrements of these fast food joints have improved, with HDTVs spewing news content, some wireless availability, and (in our home town) a cozy gas burning fireplace.
I did a hitch at the Ubiquitous Golden arches, way back when, before all those amenities, spending a summer as a french fry man (as if one has to specialize). What I remember most is coming home pretty much coated with grease. You had to occasionally take a big block of shortening and smoosh it into the fry vat, then drop and raise baskets of sizzling hot fries, dumping salt on them, and laying them out to dry and await the scooper. It was simply impossible to rid oneself of the grease and salt permeating the pores and soaking the skin.
I use fast food joints mainly for coffee when on the road. The drive-up windows are pretty convenient, if you do not have a squabbling family of seven in a van in front of you trying to make their way through some ridiculous order involving virtually every item on the menu and three order changes per kid.

Once in a while, I give in and savor a Whopper or a single. I can also make a pretty respectable meal out of the Wendy's value menu - salad, potato, chili, etc..., although the total packaging it takes to serve it all up is criminal. I also would give a shout out to some of the offerings at Arby's (a decent Reuben, for example), and the occasional KFC or Arthur Treacher's ok if you follow up with some raw carrots and celery to just sort of offset the whole healthy/unhealthy food balance.

So, anyhow, that's my salute to Fast Food, Our American Necessary Evil. Ok, not even necessary. More like a guilty (occasional) pleasure.

A fond farewell to the 2010 Winter Olympics. I put in quite a few hours over the past couple of weeks catching whatever event was on, and I will now be going through the inevitable Olympics withdrawal. But the Summer Games are only a couple years away, and I suppose that if these Olympics went on for a couple more weeks, I would eventually tire of watching
people skidding on the ice and snow in various ways.
But it's ben a fun run, with quite a few memorable highlights.
'til next time!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fun memories of fast food Ben! Hope you have a fabulous Monday!

Minerva said...

Gino's! I remember them! Where'd you ever find that picture? That would be one stale hamburger.

Jen said...

Happy Monday Ben.
Great choice for letter F. Not so great for the daily intake.

Dorothy said...

Fast Food! Americans must comsume more of that than any other nation on earth! Wishing you a Happy Monday!

Cliff said...

Then there is the home of the slider, White Castle. Yes, the tasty grease on the small bun. Used to be the out of town food of choice until they moved into the area.

Also the home of the heart attack on a bun, Hardees. their monster thick burger has about 1400 calories.

Cassie said...

The PA town (heck, the COunty!) I grew up in did not have one fast food place until Dairy Queen came to Laporte on Route220 when I was a teenager!! I didn't eat meat, so only went there for an occasional ice cream cone. Have never had a hamburger to this day. Ben, reading about your fast food days is like an episode of Happy Days to me!! Lots of fun!

Unknown said...

Once again, Ben, you live up to your reputation of being the most entertaining of the A-Z bunch.

Years ago...like in the 70's we had a Roy Rogers in So CA. It might have been a whole different company since it disappeared after a few years. The one thing I remember is that it was the first Fast Food restaurant that had self-serve fountain drinks. My four kids went bananas over that one feature. Come to think of it, that might be what sent RR packing!
When I drive to CA or FL (or other long hauls alone), I live off of drive-thru food almost.

Loui♥ said...

Ben..
great post..
fast food is just that..
and I avoid it whenever possible.
Much has changed in the food itself, making it not as tasty as I prefer..
but yep..remember when the Golden Arches came to our town in 1960..
Fifteen cent hamburgers..
and what wonderful fries!
and real milkshakes..
and then the rival came in across the street..
and the wars began..
and ultimately..
the consumers were the losers..
thanks for the memories..
warm hugs, laughing smiles..
Loui♥

Connie said...

Great post, Ben! That description of running the french fryer at McDonald's was hard to take though. I can't imagine having to work there.
Ay-yi-yi! Happy Monday to you! :D

Najia said...

For less than a DOLLAR!? Wow. I mean, WOW.

What a great post. I absolutely love fast food, which is why I try so hard to keep food at home as healthy as possible. Left to my own devices I'd be enjoying an In-n-Out double cheeseburger done "animal style" with salty fries and a chocolate shake EVERY NIGHT. Oh boy!

Gerald Neily said...

In my opinion, the greatest innovation in the annals of fast food is "All U Can Pour" drinks, which allow slow-pokes like me to spend inordinant amounts of time washing down my fast food, thus turning it into slow food. Runner-up would be the dollar menu, which basically returns double cheeseburgers to their original 15x2 cent price, adjusted for inflation. Second runner-up is Burger King Zesty onion ring sauce.