Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Do You Trust Your GPS?

Took a trip down to Appalachian Ohio yesterday. I decided to play a little game called "Blindly follow your GPS No Matter What". It worked great going down US 250 to I-77 and heading down 77 to Southeast Ohio. Then it had me exit on SR 831 or something. Well, 831 was closed 11 miles down the road, but fortunately the GPS routed me onto some County road. Well...the county road was five miles that looked and felt like this:
But I was in the game for keeps, so I stuck to the route. Eventually it dumped me out on a nicely paved State Route and I was on my way, only about 15 minutes later than original ETA projections.

My destination was a meeting I was running on doing a community strategic plan. You know, that process where you figure out where you want to go, and then tryt to figure out how to get there. I had a pretty good example of having the "vision" of where to go, but not so much the actual tactics to get there...

Ah...That's better!

5 comments:

Connie said...

I don't have a GPS in my car, but my husband has one in his. Sometimes it works great, and not so much other times. There are times when I wish I had one in my car more for a reassurance or back up plan than anything. Usually if I am going someplace new, I use Mapquest to get maps and directions before I go. Most of the time that has worked well for me, but a GPS seems like it would be nice to have.

I don't blame you for wanting to be on that paved road. Some of those back roads offer a pretty rough ride!

Minerva said...

So did you use your trip as an example in your planning meeting?

Unknown said...

You should have seen the road Jacqueline drove (at my suggestion) when we were in Oregon. I think a goat would have been daunted...

Ben said...

Yes, I did use the trip as an example, and even the locals were pretty much amused that I would travel that road. (Maybe I scored some points with them)

SabreGuy said...

How timely - some woman was just on our local news this week after she ran a stop sign and caused a semi-truck to go off the road and into someone's house. She seemed to think that her Tom-Tom was at fault for not telling her that there was a stop sign at that intersection.

Luckily no one was hurt.