Sunday, April 26, 2009

Sheldon Marsh

Perfect weather yesterday so we took off for a greenhouse (perfect weather calls for more plants!) and then we explored a state nature preserve up near Lake Erie called Sheldon Marsh. For you birders out there, they boast sightings of 300 species of birds. We saw quite a few in our visit. Especially red-winged blackbirds, a personal favorite of mine, all over the place! And the usual assortment of other characters. Here are some pictures, including a swan that seems to hang out at the golf course next door. And a fellow who demonstrated for us how he had tamed a couple of the local squirrels. It was a nice escape. As for today: yardwork.

4 comments:

Pigeon said...

Those red-wing blackbirds are really pretty. I wonder if I will see any around here. I hope you took it easy with the yard work, My outdoor thermometer climbed up to 90 today.

Minerva said...

looks like a fun place. Looks like you had a nice walk, even though I know you missed your furry companion.

Dawn said...

looks like it was a great day! i saw my first red-winged blackbirds just a couple of weeks ago!

Jessica said...

That is a place I would surely love. I've been looking up places like that..... bird sanctuaries, nature preserves, etc. in Michigan. I'm compiling a list of places to visit for new things to see.

Those are some great photos you got!