Monday, February 23, 2009

A-Z Monday: G is for...


It's time to play the ol' guitar
This thing and I have traveled far
Don't know many chords; can't really bar
But peace accompanies my guitar

Bought this Alvarez in the mid 1970's at a long-gone guitar shop on High Street in Columbus, not far from the OSU campus. It's gotten a lot of use over the years, but lately it's been staying in its case. I've preferred tinkling the keys of a keyboard, or messing with a Squire Strat electric guitar I inherited from my son when he moved on to a Les Paul and other extravagances. Maybe I'll just leave this guitar out for a while, tune it up, and have a go.

8 comments:

Minerva said...

You should play that one. It has been loyal to you all those years..

Busy Bee Suz said...

that is one old friend indeed. your talents are endless....the only music I can play is a CD player. ;)
Love the new banner...cute birds.

Jen said...

I just love coming to read your poems now!
So maybe you could grow your hair a little longer and burn some incense to get in the mood. ha.

Unknown said...

I love a common acoustical guitar...all I ever knew was how to strum.

Connie said...

Very nice poem, Ben. I enjoyed that. And if the music of your guitar brings you peace, you definitely should consider getting back to it. :-)

Cassie said...

Guitar Man!! SO glad you are getting the old accoustic out again. The music is so much more mellow than on an electric one. I hope you will enjoy singing Peter, Paul & Mary songs.
Your new banner is cool too. Whose lovely hands are holding the tweeters??

Ben said...

Yeah, tuned it up and strummed a few chords last night. I'll have to rip through "Leavin' on a Jet Plane", the PP&M song we used to play back in college. And the hands in the banner would be my wife's. She's had parakeets since before she had me around.

Anonymous said...

I hope you make time to play your guitar. I own two guitars, (one classical and one accustic) I can't even remember that last time they were out of their cases.