Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Today by the Numbers

Number of hours I've been up today as of 5 p.m.: 12
Number of miles traveled in total, to and from a meeting today (in a rented Dodge Journey with heated seats; one small ray of sunshine in this dismal report): 350
Number of hours on the road (including the two hour meeting which, thankfully, was very productive): 9
Current internal body temperature, in degrees Fahrenheit: 101.7
Number of horse pill-sized cold gel caps just consumed: 2
Number of gel caps that shot out onto the floor because of the infernal, demonic "blister packing" that companies think they need to use: 1
Number of wives preparing chicken soup: 1
Likelihood that I make a scheduled 8:30 a.m. meeting tomorrow morning: 0.3%
Number of good reasons why I should be blogging and not crashing on the couch (davenport, what have you): 0.0

Tip of the hat to PIGEON: Thanks very much for the light diffuser (I'm trying to be all scientific and I may be getting my terminology wrong...) Should add some afternoon color to the dining room!

OK, soup time, followed by "davenport" time...

In honor of grandmothers everywhere, with this post I begin a one-man quest to return the term, "davenport", to frequent, nay, preferred use in common conversation...Join me!



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ut oh, You caught the flu. Better eat lots of that soup amd then retire to the davenport. Were the roads ok where you were today? We got at least 8 more inches of snow. Someone skidded off the road and landed in a ditch right in front of my house. My snow plow driver came to his rescue.

Minerva said...

Number of sisters you have on laptop while sitting on davenport, imploring you to take the day off and rest tomorrow: 1

Ben said...

Pigeon: Roads were ok - we only got about an inch last night and i was headed south where it was better.
Marg: Yes, I have begged off from tomorrow's meeting.
Man, when is the last time I just lounged on the 'port in sweats?
And before I forget or drift off or something, I should credit Jen with starting this whole "davenport" mania.

Jen said...

I can't think of a better place to be than on the davenport. Whether it's watching tv, or taking a nap, the davenport is my choice of seats. I actually have three davenports in my home to choose from. I have a davenport in our loft, one in the living room and the last davenport is in the tv room in the 'cellar'. But my favorite davenport is the one in the living room. BUT, I really like the davenport in the loft during the winter, because it is warmer up there. I think everyone should spend time on the davenport at least once a day. The davenport refreshes and renews me. Sorry you aren't feeling well, but at least you can spend some time with your old friend the davenport. ;) Get well soon, cause I think those Cold Pills make you kinda weird.

Ben said...

Jen: You said "davenport" TEN TIMES! Excellent!

Unknown said...

So did you get your flu shot last fall? Are you going to pass the crud on to everyone you meet (look at Zits the last week or so)?

Get better, sleep in, recharge and regenerate...

Ben said...

The question is, will I get my flu shot next fall? And unlike Jeremy et al, I am avoiding meeting ANYONE. I'm thinking I will "conference in" to a meeting I need to attend in some form tomorrow.