Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Fits Me to a "T"

There's this challenge that's been going around a couple blogs that I keep in touch with. Someone assigns you a letter and asks you to list ten things you like that begin with that letter. My sister was posing the challenge a few days ago, I said "OK, Shoot me a letter", and she said "How about T?"

So, after some thought and trepidation, I have come up with these

TEN "T" WORDS THAT I TREASURE
1. Travel. Yeah, I like to get in the car and go, see some new sights, learn about others and what they do and like and have. I often say three of the best weeks of my life were in 1998 when six of us headed west in an Oldsmobile station wagon, and followed a carefully chosen path through maybe eight or ten national parks, 15 or 16 states, all the way to the Pacific (the incredible Route 1 from Monterey down to almost L.A.) and back.
2. Tranquility. What beats one of those lazy summer afternoons just gazing at some water?
3. Trails. The kids know from countless vacations. I just love heading off into the woods on a trail, not knowing what's around the next bend, listening for the waterfall that's on the map and that you know just HAS to be very, very close.
4. Toys. We all have our favorite stuff. These are a couple of my favorite toys.
5. Togetherness. If I tried to list my ten or twenty favorite times ever, nearly all of them, if not absolutely all, would revolve around the family, or close friends, or both, being together having a great time. And when you get to the "empty nest" as we have, those together times are even more valuable.
6. Tunes. Oh, man, gotta have my music, whether it's the Mahler's Sixth SACD I just ordered or the son's Led Zep collection, or the songs popping out of the XM radio in my car on the way to work, or any of the hundreds of CDs and good ol' LPs (yeah, I'm old) I have collected, or me just noodling around on the items featured in #4.
7. Towns. Much of what I do for a living involves working with rural communities to help them put together a shared vision of their future, and then to work to achieve their home-grown vision. So I have a professional interest in communities, how they are laid out, and how they work (or, in many cases, how they don't work).
8. Tails. This is my back-handed (back-sided, anyhow) way of meaning pets, animals. Like our good ol' dog, or the daughter and son-in-law's dogs that we call the "grand-dogs".
9. Turning pages. I pretty much end each day, at least the conscious part of it, listening to #6, and reading a little before we shut off the light. It may be 20 pages, it may be a couple paragraphs, but it is a great way to wind it down for the night for me.
10. Thoughtfulness. Just the ideas that come from people who have figured something out, or discovered something they did not know before. Or the consideration they show in what they do.

And that's my list.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had to get a zoomed in look at all your books. I wish I had more time to read. I've read several books by Grisham, but not the appeal as of yet. Is that Oliver Sach's book on Music I see? (not sure) I've read several of his too.

Jen said...

It appears T was made for you.
Great list. I like the trails travel and Tranquility.

Ben said...

Oigeon - Yeah, it's Sachs' and it's called "Musicophilia", I think. I enjoyed his first one about the woman who mistook her husband for a hat or whatever it was called. Fascinating and weird stuff.