Sunday, October 19, 2008

Border Collies!

A pretty busy weekend back home. Aside from that trip to the rez with the dog to snap the above banner shot, we went to a wedding yesterday - sister of one of our son's best friends. Then today we went to one of those outside old-timey craft and such festivals, about a half hour from home. The big draw for me was the border collie demonstration - entertainment of the highest order! The owner turned the B.C.'s loose on sheep and some ducks.

The owner told us the reward for the collies is the work itself. They just love to herd them sheep, ducks, kids, whatever. Turns out their least favorite call from their owner is "That'll do" (who here has seen "Babe", one of my favorite films?) because that means they may be done for a while and will have to sit out while another collie takes over. Here are some shots of the collies at work.
These working dogs may be distant cousins of our non-working dog, pictured here coming home after that fun time at the reservoir on Friday.
And here are some shots of the festival, called the Oak Ridge Festival, including a pretty fun musical group that seemed to like to play old Irish sailor drinking songs and the like, if I am not mistaken.
And finally, on the way home taking the back roads, I stopped at a bridge to take a shot of the scenery.

7 comments:

Jessica said...

I would have loved to see those working dogs. Looks like you had a great day.

Minerva said...

Looks like my kind of weekend.

Anonymous said...

When I was little, I wanted to own a collie but my parents were anti pets. I only was allowed a beta fish in a bowl. I love your pretty scenic header.

Ben said...

Jessica - Yeah, thos dogs were really fun to watch
Marg - yeah, even saw a woman spinnin' some yarrrrrnnnn.
Pigeon- I hope it was a border beta with herding (schooling?) instincts.

Anonymous said...

Somehow, I don't think so!

Unknown said...

I've read that the border collies like to herd adults, too. That it takes a strong-willed "master" to control them.

Ben said...

Gary: I believe you are right. They'll herd anything. I believe my sister's collie (not border) used to herd her kids to a degree. Seriously!