Tuesday, August 7, 2012

The Occasional Nudge Back Toward Positivity

I am in this group on Facebook where the moderator or founder or whatever, a good guy named Cliff (see WIXY to the right), poses a "Question of the Day" and people respond.  Sometimes the question is just silly.  What is your favorite this or that.  Other times, once in a while, the question dances around politics or religion or other netherlands for discussion.  And there are a few people in the group who attack such questions with both barrels.

Today's question, for reasons I cannot fully explain, was my favorite one yet.  It was simply this "
What is one of your simple joys? 
First, it was kind of fun reviewing in my mind what I considered to be the source of simple joy.  I finally decided on this:
" I like to go out on the deck last thing at night, just sit out there listening to the crickets and locusts, watch the dogs sniff around, and count my blessings."
This is actually something I do on a regular basis.  A few minutes of quiet out on that deck, in the darkness, thinking about the good things bestowed upon me, helps put the rest of the day, with its frenetic failures and foibles, in perspective.  
But aside from my own recipe for calm, I enjoyed reading what others had to say about their simple joy inducers.  Here is a sampling:
 My three year old son reading to my husband and I at bedtime.
 Feeling safe and loved is the best of simple joys.
 seeing my one year old grandson.
 Coffee, watching the sunrise and listening to the birds.
 A cold beer and a fine cigar.
 Getting a "Good Morning" text each morning from my guy to start start off my day....
 rain on a tin roof, a beach at sunset, my husband's smile, the vioce of my grandson, and all the above.
 Holding hands with my husband is good for me.
 forgot to mention my cat. he is a great joy to me
  As I read these, it struck me that the "simple joys" are far superior to the more complicated joys that we try to manufacture.  The best time of the day is often out where nature, Creation, or whatever you call it is front and center.  Or it's when you connect, even just superficially (a texted "good morning") with a loved one or good friend.   
Or when you can get a good, simple laugh out of something.  For example, here is another reply to today's question...
Good drink, good food and a good woman.
Well, I guess 1 out of 3 isn’t bad.
Damn, just ran out of ice!
 

2 comments:

Connie said...

I've heard it said that we generally find what we are looking for. In other words if we focus on looking for the positive things in life, we will find them. The reverse is also true, of course. All the more reason to look for the bright side of things. Nice post, Ben. I enjoyed reading this list. :)

George said...

I agree that the simple joys are usually the most profound. By the way, you've got a great eye. My header photo is indeed a reflection of the Biltmore House in Asheville, North Carolina.