Sunday, July 15, 2012

Cleveland: City of Light, CIty of Magic, City of.... Fish?

We were looking for a fun day trip when the kids were home, so we hit the road for Cleveland and the newish Cleveland Aquarium.  While it does not boast the features of aquariums we have visited in Baltimore or Gatlinburg, it was a fun time and the fish world was well represented.  Here are some shots of our trip to the aquarium.

First, some of the occupants of the aquarium, including this turtle whose shell was being repaired with epoxy.  
 Avoid these when swimming.  A piranha.
 The aquarium has a "touch tank" where visitors can experience the joy of touching rays as they swim by.  Evidently the rays like it and are more than happy to swim up close to get the touch treatment.  Here my daughter displays the correct "two fingers, wrist deep only" technique. 
 Now we are in the realm of "interesting looking fish, but I have no idea what they are".  I liked the color.  I suppose it would blend in around the proper colored coral.
 I have no idea.
 Indeed, I should have caught the name of this spectacular species. 
 These are likely sand sharks.  They are kind of humorous, the way they just hang out on the sea floor. 
 SHARK!!!
 My favorite feature of the aquarium is the "sea tube", where you walk through a totally glass "tunnel" through the large shark 9and others) tank, thus getting a sort of 360 degree view of the fish swimming around and above you.  So you get scenes like this guy coming right at you.
 Then once outside, and rid of the sharks, we took in the Cleveland skyline across the river, and its distinctive Terminal Tower. 
 
 Inside Terminal Tower and Tower City Center.  The tower was built during the skyscraper boom of the 1920's and 1930's, and was the second tallest building in the world when it was built.  It was the tallest building in the U.S. outside New York until 1964.  
 A couple blocks down the road, we found this "back street" brimming with restaurants and pubs, and found a place to eat.
 A last look at the distinctive tower that still rises above its neighbors.

3 comments:

Connie said...

These are great pictures, Ben. I didn't even know Cleveland had an aquarium. My husband is from Westlake (on west side of Cleveland) originally. I'll have to suggest to him that we go and visit the aquarium sometime. Looks like you had a good time there.

Gordon said...

Ben,
This is your saltwater fish lesson for today.
The orange,black and white fish is a percula clownfish (aka. “Nemo” from the movie),Next is a black triggerfish,then is a lionfish (aka, scorpionfish,pterois volitans). The lionfish is a pacific fish however the atlantic coral reefs are teaming with them since people keep dumping them and they have no natural preditors. Yup the rest are sharks but I’ve never kept any of them in my tank at home.

Minerva said...

Gordon beat me to the answers. Though, I did not know the triggerfish's name. I was even going to comment about the lionfish being down in Florida now and the Nemo connection to the clownfish. I guess great minds think alike.