Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Another Circle Closing

You have probably heard about how Glen Campbell recently made public that he has been diagnosed as being in early stage Alzheimer's. As a result, he has released a "final" studio album, depicted above, and is embarking on what is likely to be a final tour.

Glen is one of those icons of my youth. He was pounding out the hits, several of which were artfully penned by Jimmy Webb, who was one of those 60's "hit factories". I can still recall Glen's boisterous intro to his variety TV show: "Hello, I'm Glen Campbell and this is the Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour!!!"

His voice was eminently distinguishable - and still is. I just sampled the new album, "Ghost on the Canvas", and it is unmistakable Glen (and on a few tracks, if I am on target here, unmistakable Jimmy Webb, too.)

It is interesting watching the lauded artists of my youth aging. It is amazing how many are still hanging in there. for example, 69-year-old Paul Simon put out a wonderful collection of songs last spring, and rendered an unforgettable, solemn reading of "The Sound of Silence" in his beloved NYC on 9/11.

It is also sad when one of my favorites is struck down. I saw a piece with Glen and his wife on TV not long ago and his memory was definitely challenged while he tried to remember events from his past, words from his songs... But I give him high marks for taking it on the road one more time. And, even when he is forced to retire, with the collection of hits he has in the hopper, his voice will be aired on Oldies Radio for decades to come, evoking pleasant memories of his mention of places like Wichita, Galveston, Phoenix...

5 comments:

Connie said...

I saw that same show, I think. It was sad and difficult for me to watch it.

A few years back we saw him perform with the Columbus symphony at a Pops concert. I really enjoyed it. I grew up listening to my Mom's country radio station and they played his songs a lot there, so it brought back a lot of memories for me.

Nice post, Ben.

Minerva said...

I saw a Glen Campbell concert on PBS a few weeks ago, and it's amazing how many hits he had that flooded me with memories. Wichita Lineman always brings me back to my youth, listening to late night AM radio by a transistor radio under my pillow.
This kind of farewell album always breaks my heart. I still can't listen to Warren Zevon's last album without crying.

George said...

I've always liked Glen Campbell, and I, too, was saddened to hear about his Alzheimer's diagnosis. But I have to admire him even more for his latest album and tour.

Gerald Neily said...

As I get older, I've become increasingly aware and amazed by how music occupies such a separate and distinct part of the brain from other stuff, so at least for now, Glen Campbell is apparently still able to summon his considerable musical talent. Yes, Glen Campbell has never gotten his due as a great artist. He reminds me of an improved version of Mike Nesmith of the Monkees. "Wichita Lineman" is an all-time classic. On the negative side, I don't think I've ever gotten as sick of a song as I did of "Rhinestone Cowboy".

Gordon said...

Interesting story about Glen Campbell, I remember back in the 70's there was a fire at one of the theaters that he played. Glen went into to burning building to rescue his favorite guitar. He was a great studio musician before he made it big. He valued a great instrument.