Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Long Time No Blog

The old clock on the wall keeps ticking away. Actually, it's battery driven and it doesn't really tick. It hums a little until the batteries run down, then it twitches. I hate it when the second hand cannot make it uphill from the six toward the twelve. It looks so pathetic, like time itself is in its death throes. Which, come to think of it, is a fairly fascinating concept in itself. The death of time. Then what?

My point is that we are past the solstice and into summer proper now. Yes, I know; the days are getting shorter already. But I made the most of it yesterday, cleaning a small forest and wonderfully fertile soil out of the rain gutters on the east side of the house. Then I attacked some moss growing up on the roof. As I noted on Facebook (which has taken me, more than I would like, away from this beloved blog), I had looked at an interview with Elton John during lunch hour when I walked over to the library. Then there I was that evening, as I.. "sat on the roof, kicking off the moss." This, of course, started an uneasy chain of Elton John lyrics suitable to the occasion.

Anyhow, I hope you are enjoying the summer thus far. The weather here in northern Ohio has been gorgeous. and I a hoping it isn't going to be as hot as they say it might.

We are adjusting to the two dog lifestyle. Chloe has settled in and she and Ollie have learned to play together - hard and well. I am learning the techniques involved in walking two dogs while avoiding the braiding of the leashes. And we established a pen area back beyond the deck where they can run around a bit, untethered.

I should report there was a marvelous memorial service for Tom, my friend, guitarist in our band at church, and all-around great guy, this past Sunday. I do not exaggerate when I estimate that 400 or 500 people attended the service. Our band played everyone out to pay respects to the family, and we went a good ninety minutes before the place was reasonably cleared out. I guess that is a pretty good measure of the mark that Tom left.

Let me see if I can round up any pictures that represent life over tha past two weeks.
Here is the new order around the house. Left to right: Chloe, Ollie. Both dogs came with their names. I get a bit tongue tied calling them both.
The pictue may not do it total justice, but this is a meal the kids prepared for me/us the week before Father's Day. They couldn't be around for that day, but they more than made up for it with this meal - William's special spicy meat loaf, and Emily's potato au gratin dish. A great meal.
there was a period of a couple days where we were boarding five dogs, including (of course) our own two. It was nuts.
This is just a troll's view of a bridge in Toledo, bridging the mighty Maumee River.
Another view of the bridge - is it the Brent Spence bridge? Something like that? Anyhow, we were on our way to a do at the Hungarian Club in Toledo, celebrating a friend's birthday and her one-year mark since a breast cancer diagnosis. Always ready to help someone celebrate bein' a survivor!

So that's about all there is to bring us up to date. Perhaps there will be some fireworks or quaint small town parade pictures in the next week or so, eh?

7 comments:

Connie said...

We have been having wonderful weather here recently. I love it. Summer always goes by much too quickly for me. Great pictures of the dogs. Five at once! Ha! Sounds like a lot! The Father's Day meal looks delicious. Hope you have a nice
4th of July weekend with your family.

Minerva said...

Troll's view! Ha...I like that.
Thanks for the update on all the happenings.
Have a good Fourth.

George said...

Thanks for bringing us up to date on the doings at your place. I was glad to hear that the dogs are getting along well -- it sounds as if they are doing a good job of training you.
I enjoyed your troll's view of the bridge in Toledo. I lived in Tiffin, Ohio, for about twelve years and got to Toledo fairly often.

Cassie said...

Looks like you've been up to alot lately! Patrick's up here in Idaho for 3 weeks and is getting to my honey-do list, as well as having a little fun. We've been (re)staining our log cabin on the south side and what a fun job that is. Both of us are full of mosquito bites and aches...just a little more to go before we're done. We'll go to Montana for the 4th and spend it with an old friend and hopefully see some fireworks. OUR town won't have any this year. AND no parade. Sheesh! happy 4th of July to you and your family & pooches too!!

Ben said...

Thanks for the update, Cassie! Hope you had a good 4th! (I will stop by soon).

Ben said...

George - I am working on a project with some folks in Tiffin; get over there about once a month. Some good things going on there, with 2 growing universities, a neat old theater, and a nice downtown!

Ben said...

Daisy - Yeah, I do not recommend five dogs to anyone, although I know plenty of people handle that level of canine insanity on a regular basis.
Marg - I hope your dogs got through the night of booms unscathed and not too rattled.