Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Sundries

A little catch-up is necessary. I have been busy with this computer, but doing a variety of things. Facebook, for example. But also, I got this slick USB vinyl-to-MP3 player, and my latest project involves converting a lot of my hundreds of LPs in the basement to electronic signals and binary codes and all that stuff. The setup looks like this:
I am learning to work out some of the bugs, but it is coming along.

I need to update the wildlife report out in the back yard. Our new squrrel feeder pretty much fails to get any species to sit in a chair properly, but over the past few months we have had a few "customers", and the squirrels are warming up to the concept.
Then, late one night recently, my wife caught a flying squirrel at the feeder. This was after midnight, when that particular type of animal seems to come out to eat.
Took the ol' tree out Sunday. Figured it was about time, Epiphany over and all. Plus, this tree was ready. Check out the rich carpet of needles left behind. (And yes, the tree was replaced yesterday by the computer, etc., in the top picture). We have never had a tree give up the needles like this! And trust me, it was generously watered!
I have mentioned previously, I think, the seven dogs with which I spent some time over Christmas. Now there is an eighth. Our neighbors have taken on a new pup, a Rhodesian Ridgeback or some such thing, named Kenly or Kenlee...it's an amalgamation of a couple kids' names. Anyhow, K. came over and had a bit of a play date with Ollie a couple days ago. She is substantially smaller than our dog...NOW.
I close with a shot of a botanical miracle. This is the mother in law's tongue, as they call it, that graces my windowsill at work. This thing has survived my care for maybe 15 years. I water it every Friday, and that's about the extent of my TLC. It is a fine example of perseverance, I guess.

7 comments:

George said...

Thanks for the update. Your vinyl-to-MP3 setup looks good. I assume your conversions are going well.

Minerva said...

Seriously?! A flying squirrel? Your yard is magical.

Ok maybe mine is too, considering Chippy the magi....

Gerald Neily said...

Hey Rocky, watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat...

I digitized a few vinyl cuts a while back. I just plugged the old phono into my receiver which happens to have a phono preamp (something we took for granted back in the old days), then plugged the receiver into my computer's analogue audio input and used the Windows Accessory recorder. Once I had it all rigged, it was as easy as making a cassette recording, which is to say, not easy enough for the benefit derived.

My listening habits have become increasingly polarized, with MP3s for EZ casual listening and mostly surround sound SACDs for stop-everything-and-listen listening. With an occasional vinyl play through my big stereo, which seems like quite a big deal ritualized event, where I clutch the seemingly huge 12" disc and album sleeve in the process. My most recent vinyl listen was Big Star "#1 Record". I though about buying the SACD of this, but it just wouldn't feel right, sort of like how they use '00s vernacular on "That '70s Show".

Ben said...

Yeah, I know hooking up the old rig could work, but this turntable is so inexpensive and compact that I went for it, and so far the conversions are going fine although the software is not perfect in guessing where new tracks start - and I hate to be around to monitor that in real time.

Jen said...

Binary what???? Too much over my head.... but man 'O man I could get into that feeder! Too cute, where did you get it? and does it come with a Black and Flying Squirrel?

Ben said...

That feeder was a gift - I have no idea where they came up with that one. I am waiting for a couple squirrels to just sit there face to face.

Connie said...

How cool! A flying squirrel!

That's great that you can convert your music from vinyl to MP3s, too. It's hard to keep up, things keep changing so fast in technology.

The pictures of your bird feeder with none of the visitors sitting properly in the chairs made me laugh. :)