Sunday, October 17, 2010

Happy Trails (no, no; this is not the last post...)





Basically, one the times when I am happiest is when I am hiking or just walking on a trail somewhere. It is one of my favorite things to do. There is something about not knowing what's around the next bend.

Well, the trail we were on this afternoon does not lend itself to bends, since it is one of those "rails to trails" deals where trains once rode along the trail. So, not so many hairpin turns or abrupt changes in elevation.

Another thing I like about trails is it tends to bring out the best in people. We passed maybe twelve people today - not a lot, but the point is, they all said hello. A couple teenagers started chatting with us in detail about the railroad bridge we were looking at. When I am downtown, or in a mall, or anywhere in "civilization", I do not get 100 percent "hello". Not even close. People on trails just seem to have this loosely affiliated comraderie. Maybe because everybody out there is pretty much there by choice - they want to be there, they are getting some good old exercise, and it's great to be out in an attractive place.

So, anyhow, a handful of pictures from our hour or so on the trail...

4 comments:

Connie said...

Great pictures, Ben. This is one of the best times of year to hike about on trails, I think. Love the photo in your header--Wow!

Minerva said...

Lovely pictures. You're ahead of us in fall colors. Still lots of green here.

George said...

I agree that we make the nicest, friendliest people when hiking.
I like your pictures from your hike -- they are all beautiful.

Jen said...

Ben,
Hello!
Your observation is right on track.