Sunday, April 11, 2010

A-Z Munchin' Monday: The obvious L

Well, for me, there is one obvious food that begins with an L, and that food looks like this:
We are talking lasagna here. As those who have been following this series will recall, I have had a life-long love affair with the hamburger. Sooner or later, somewhere in my youth, I discovered that this chopped sirloin or what have you could be combined with other ingredients and made into other wonderful dishes, especially involving cheese, tomato, and pasta. This was proven to me initially be my mother's spaghetti, and also by my grandmother's cheesy spaghetti in a bowl.

I married a woman who would occasionally produce lasagna and this was a good thing. She also would take ground beef and fashion it into a spicy but wondrous Indian dish called kema (?) curry, but that does not begin with an L, so we shall leave it there. Should've covered it last week.

Went to a wedding in Baltimore this year, and the mother of the bride made lasagna for everyone at the reception. This was an insane quantity of the real deal (she's quite Italian); in fact I've heard her lasagna has since won some city-wide, radio sponsored lasagna contest, so I've had some good lasagna this year.

I have rarely, if ever, had bad lasagna; often it is authentically made with sausage rather than just beef, but it's (almost) all good. There's even meatless lasagna out there that is delicious.
- - - - - - - - - -
Because of a recent event we attended, I have to give an A-Z shout out to LEBANESE food. We were at a luncheon featuring a delegation of young entrepreneurs from Lebanon, Jordan, and the United Arab Emirates. The food was mainly Lebanese; they started things with some pita bread and plunked down huge bowls of hummus that looked like this:
Main course was chicken and fish with various spices that I do not recall. Olives, figs, dates, dried fruit on kabob sticks. A great feast, and the program was also memorable. The variety of food traditions and indigenous dishes makes this an interesting planet, indeed!

10 comments:

Connie said...

Yum...lasagna! My sons love it when I make that. I think it is one of their favorite foods.

I've never had Lebanese food. Sounds like something I should try!

Happy (almost)Monday to you, Ben! Hope you have a good week ahead.

Unknown said...

My in laws were Sicilian and boy the lasagna and other Italian dishes made ground beef proud!

I make some mean tacos with it.

Happy L Monday, Ben

Anonymous said...

Lasagna is my husband's favorite. His grandmother made it for him when he was young. I wish I had her recipe!
Hope you have a great week Ben.

Loui♥ said...

Ben..
loved the Lasagna post..
altho am not a particular fan of the stuff, I do make a presentable dish..
have not had any complaints as of yet..
and I do love authentic Italian and Greek foods..
especially when dining al fresco in one of the aforementioned countries..
Lebanese food can be quite tasty!
warmest hugs..laughing smiles..
Loui♥

Jen said...

Happy Monday Ben!
lasagna had become our traditional Christmas dinner the past few years. I add sausage to mine as well. Good stuff!

Unknown said...

Oh, now I'm hungry!

Just got home from Costco with $377 worth of stuff, and everything to make lasagna, except the enery. Maybe tomorrow....

I haven't even posted my L word yet, I have to get in gear!

(I was tickled you recognized the Douglas Adams reference...My son and I are big fans.)

Unknown said...

What, not Liver!?!

Minerva said...

I love lasagna. Unfortunately, it is not a favorite around here, and I eat it about once a year.

Ben said...

Margaret, come visit and we'll have lasagna! Gary - come visit, but don't bring LIVER! Sue: Don't Panic!
Everyone: Have a Lovely week!

Cassie said...

Meatless Lasagna is one of my faves! I have a great recipe for it that I've made for years. Just lots of cheese. Lebanese food sounds like something Patrick would like. I like the spices,but no meat please.