Sunday, March 28, 2010

A-Z Munchin' Monday: JJJJJJ

This week we're covering foods that start with the letter J. If I were to cover a food that I have come to enjoy in recent years, I would probably home in on Jambalaya. Good stuff when done right, and I have especially enjoyed it at a restaurant in downtown Cleveland called Fat Fish Blue. More than once I have enjoyed a big hot bowl of this ragin' Cajun collection of tasty stuff.
-----
But my emphasis has been on foods that bring back the nostalgia for days long gone by, and so for my J food I select: JELLO MOLDS. Not just Jello, mind you, but those rings of jello-ey goodness with other stuff embedded in them, often served in lieu of a salad, frequently garnished with some lettuce or other such rabbit food underneath.
Is it just me, or were Jello molds all the rage back in the 60's or so? It seems to my now-not-so-reliable memory that, back then, Mom would trot out a Jello mold on a pretty routine basis. Sometimes it would be green (lime?) Jello with mandarin oranges embedded in it. Or maybe orange Jello with carrot strips and raisins. or some sort of thing with cream cheese on the top. And then what, exactly, is aspic? Seems like aspic played a role back in the day, but I cannot put my finger on that.

It's been a long time since I've seen a Jello mold served up. What's happened to this American icon of eatin'?

9 comments:

Loui♥ said...

Ben..
great post..
we too had the Jell-o stuff at our house..
wasn't fond of it then ,,
nor now..
except for some strange concoction called..
"Under the Sea Salad"
It was lime Jello,
full of chopped walnuts,
carrots,finely grated cabbage and celery,
and cottage cheese..
maybe I liked it because of the texture..
but to this day..
I cannot swallow plain Jello!
smiles!
Loui♥

Anonymous said...

Good Morning Ben, Back in the 60's it was a treat to eat lunch at the cafeteria after church and they had a large selection of jello salads. To a small kid, the choices seemed endless!!!

Connie said...

Yes, my mom often made Jello molds when we were kids. She'd put fruit or nuts or cottage cheese in them. Depending on what was in them, some I liked, some I didn't care for much. I still see them every once in a while at a church potluck or other such affair, but not nearly as often as I used to.

I used to make them, but my kids never liked the Jello with anything in it. They just wanted it plain, so I pretty much gave up on them.

Jen said...

Happy Monday Ben!
Oh yeah! we use to have the copper colored jello molds hanging on the wall in the kitchen when I was a kid. I remember a fish being one of them.

There is a jello salad recipe with cream cheese called 7-Up salad. I still make it. If you want the recipe, let me know.

Unknown said...

Brilliant minds think alike, but super brilliant minds go a step further and mold their jello.....

Nothing like moldy jello!! HA, I crack myself up! I couldn't help it, I just had to do that to you, Ben. :)

Ben said...

Glad I'm here for you, G.J. :)
I don;t think our kids want to have anything to do with Jello, either, Daisy. Must be a generational thing. Never heard of the 7-up salad, Jen!

Cassie said...

Yes, I always had room for Jello. It was especially nice if it was molded! My Mom was a no frills kind of gal, so we only had it served in a big rectangular dish. (FireKing, yellow with a glass top!) My buddy Sue's mother always did the fancy molds. I still like jello made with bananas,walnuts and port wine. That was always a Thanksgiving & Christmas treat! Happy A to Z Monday Ben!

Minerva said...

You're taking me back, brother...

I remember tomato aspic made by mom. Had tomato soup and lemon in it I think. I actually ate the stuff.

Cliff said...

There's always room for Jello. Jello is the Spam of dessert foods.