Friday, January 1, 2010

Z-A "Monday": Beginnings

Back with Charlie and another buddy named Bernie, Xavier bemoaned the Bermuda Triangle of brutal and baffling bad luck all three had getting bagged from jobs.

"So, with your business background, Xave, you could be back in the game big time."
"I dunno, just don't want to go back to business and all the brutal backstabbing and balance sheet bull. It's so boring."
"Boy", said Bernie, "You bruised businessmen need a boost. It's not so bleak. I'm gonna bail you out. You know the Bijou, that beautiful old building on Broad and Bartley? It's for sale. Let's buy it. It'll be a blast!"
"What am I?", Xavier bleated, "a billionaire?"
"No dude, we get a bank loan, maybe with a balloon, but it will buy us time to bring it to profitability."
"I'll bite", said Charlie rather boldly. "I don't need to brood like Xave here. I'll buy in, and we can build the place up. Book bands, plays, maybe not Broadway, but..."
"That's my boy" said Bernie. Hey, Xave, not trying to buttonhole you here, but you can't be all bohemian forever. Gotta budge sooner or later, can't always balk. It could be a blast, the three of us, blazing new trails, bringing new business to our bleak ol' town.
"Hey, I'm not blowing it off. Just don't want to go bankrupt. But with a bodacious business plan, maybe it'd pay the bills. Ok, against my better judgment, I'll buy in."
"A toast to us, the Bijou Boys", broadcast Bernie, brandishing three Bud Lights and bandying them about to his buddies.

And thus the Bijou Boys began their new business venture together, bidding for the building and, by and by, buying it.

But Xavier had something else bothering his befuddled brain. Before too long, he bore with his butterflies and, bracing for the worst, bravely called Wendy.
"Hello?"
"Hey Wendy, it's Xavier. Uh, I didn't want to burn any bridges here, so I thought maybe we could break bread, you know..."
"OK, Xavier, I'm glad you called, but I've gotta go now. But I'll be up there tomorrow. How 'bout brunch, eleven?"
"Beautiful."
"Bye, Xavier."
"Bye, Wendy."

Xavier brought out a bunch of papers and began brainstorming his thoughts. This was big. It could go anywhere from breakup to, well, bride and groom. He couldn't bring his "B" game to this one!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I hope Xavier lets Wendy eat first. Otherwise she may not have much of an appetite.

Happy New Year Ben

Busy Bee Suz said...

I hope this story ends well..with some wedding bells perhaps? And a profitable business. Such a rarity these days!
Happy New year to you and your family!

Connie said...

Building up for the Big Bang finish! HA! I've really enjoyed your Xavier story, Ben. I'm looking forward to seeing how this all turns out.

Wishing you and yours a happy new year! It's been fun getting to know you through this A to Z meme.

Ben said...

happy new year and continued blogging fun and friendship to you three, too!

Minerva said...

Cant wait to see what A will bring to this twisty tale. It's been a fun read. Hope the trip home was smooth and uneventful.
Happy new year!

Jen said...

Boy oh Boy...I've enjoyed the ride!
Looking forward to Monday's grand finale! well..you know what I mean.
Happy 2010 to you and yours Ben.

Baby Rocket Dog and Hootie said...

Ben ole boy, B-UTE-i-ful Beginnings! Maybe Wendy isn't so bad afterall. Best of luck to the Bijou Boys!
Cassie (using my dogs blog!)

Ben said...

Happy New Year to you too, Marg, Jen, and BRD&H! Sort of sad to wrap this thing up! (But no, we WILL wrap it up!)