Sunday, November 22, 2009

Z-A Monday - Those Garage Band Guys, aGain?

Xavier got to the Holiday Inn' s glittery lobby, only to hear familiar guitar riffs coming from The Gathering Place, the hotel lounge. He glanced in - yep, it was the guys, old band name gone, new name gracing the bass drum - "the Guardians of Groove". Geez, he thought. Gaudy name.

At a break, he hailed the gang, gulping a Guinness while gushing about his getaway adventures.

"Dude", said Vince, "you can so sit in on this gig. I've got a spare guitar, a Gibson."
"What are you guys playing? I might be grasping for notes here."
"Oh, we're the Guardians now. We do Golden Oldies, with some pop. You know, Grand Funk, Guess Who, some gnarly Guns n Roses."
Vic added, "and mix it up with a little Vince Gill, Barry Gibb, Goo Goo Dolls. A little Golden Earring, Genesis, Gary Glitter..."
"And", said Vince, "we end with Lee Greenwood, everybody all grateful to be an American and all. It's gorgeous."
"OK", said Xavier, "I'll give it a go."

And so the set ground on, Xavier gelling with the band, the Gibson grooving along, til the grateful audience got their Greenwood and the guys loaded out their gear. Then they grabbed a quick glass and gabbed a bit.

"So, Xave", said Vic, "how's it with the girlfriend?"
A pang of guilt.
"I may be a goner. I haven't gotten through to her. I guess I'm guilty."
"Xavier, Dude, you've gotta get to her from your gut. Gut level, Guy. It's gut check time."
What was with all this gut stuff?
Vince looked at Vic. "Dude, since when are you the guru of getting girlfriends? You're all like 'Grasshopper...'. Gimme a break."
"Guys", Xavier said, with a gaping yawn, "as much as I'd like to gorge myself on your glorious wisdom here, I've gotta get some sleep. I've got a get a ride in the morning."
After goodbyes with the Guardians, Xavier got to the room and gazed at the picture of generic geraniums on the wall. He thought about Wendy, wondered what gut-level gems would generate any more interest, and why he, the genius, couldn't gather the nerve to get her on the phone.

Xavier awoke early the next morning, got up, and got out, only to find his driver was gone. Looked like it was the Greyhound for him.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh no - not the Greyhound!!!

I love the Guardians of Groove name! It sounds like something my brother and his boyhood friend could have auditioned for!!!

Loui♥ said...

B~
Loved this segment..
can't wait for the next one..
wondering if the Greyhound is headed to Georgia..
Hugs!
Loui♥

Jen said...

LOL!!! "Go Greyhound". Gobble Gobble!
Happy Monday Ben!

Cassie said...

Groovy indeed! Happy Gobbler Day!

Minerva said...

Golly, what a grand yarn you are writing. What next....
Have a good Thanksgiving.
And don't eat any gingerbread men.

Busy Bee Suz said...

Poor Xavier....the greyhound? I remember taking trips that way...NOT GOOD. :)

Connie said...

HA! Poor Xavier! I loved the "Grasshopper" reference. Made me laugh! Hope you and your family have a happy Thanksgiving! :)

Lynne said...

Lot of mentions about greyhounds here. Looking forward to your F post. It's amazing how you manage to keep Going.
Happy Thanksgiving.