Friday, September 5, 2008

W.O.F. 28 From Down Under


This week's entry has never actually flown. I guess I am a bit skittish. I used to toss boomers all the time back in college. There were several of us who would throw them in formation, four at a time, and watch them circle and, we would hope, return. "Flinging the wing", we called it. I was at a disadvantage because I was a lefty (still am, come to think) - they get tossed at a bit of an angle such that I would have to duck my own delivery a little or risk head injury. Anyhow, it was great fun. Sometimes a low-flying one (the kind that nail jackrabbits in the Outback, I suppose) would cause a student to hit the ground abruptly. But that was all part of the charm, we thought. Also, sometimes a 'rang would wind up on a roof. But back then we threw Wham-O brand plastic boomerangs costing about a dollar apiece.

Fifteen years ago or so someone gave me a nice wooden one like this. I was at a picnic one afternoon and decided to give 'er a toss. She rounded the corners, headed back to the target (that would be me), but she overshot, right into some woods behind me. We spent the better part of an hour tromping around, looking for her. Never came up with her. By now, she's just part of the rich dirt out in that woods; ash to ashes, I suppose.

So that's why I am hesitant to let 'er rip when I again have such a fine looking wooden, colorful one. Purely decorative at this point.

If you have not already, I recommend the "WOF friends" to the right who also post on Weird Object Friday. You just never know what will show up.

6 comments:

Jen said...

I have never thrown a boom-a-rang.
is that weird? I wouldn't be able to catch it anyway - I always duck at things coming at me at a high rate of speed.

Ben said...

The tough part is it comes at you spinning, swooshing around. We caught them (when we were lucky enough) by clapping our hands together, one on top, one on the bottom.

gerry said...

I have always been fascinated with them. I loved the thought they return to you. Although, the one residing in the forest would disagree.

Minerva said...

What's harder...finding a lost boomerang, or finding a lost disc golf disc? I bet you've done both.

Ben said...

Well, I actually found a lost disc golf disc, so I guess it's easier!

Anonymous said...

The closest thing I've thrown to a boomerang is a frisbee, but I'm sure there is really no real comparison. I'd be hesitant to throw a boomerang too.