Sunday, April 27, 2008

Milliums of Trilliums, etc.

We took a little drive today, and on the way back from our destination, we took the back roads. You can tell you are on a back road when you see a sign like this:
Then we visited the reservoir to check on the status of the trilliums. They are in full bloom, as these pictures try to show. It is difficult to capture how widespread they are. It takes quite a few minutes to walk all the way around them.

But as you can see, they thrive there, and grow right off into the woods.

Notice the patches of these things off into the distance:

Here's a single trillium, up close and personal.

As we left the reservoir, I stopped the car near some reeds where red-winged blackbirds hang out and "stake their claim".
i get a kick out of the sound of these guys. I wish I could stick an mp3 of the calling back and forth of the red wingers in here, to give you the full sensory experience!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder how the trillium multiply. In the last 26 years, I have only had just the one.

Jessica said...

Beautiful place you visited. Of course the red wing black bird photos are my favorite :-)

Ben said...

Pigeon: I have no idea. We have about three in a garden on the side of the house- they've been there forever. Two are blooming this year, and that's it.
Jessica: Yes, I've liked red wing blackbirds ever since I did a report on them in fourth grade or so.

Minerva said...

Guess I'll have to join the crowd this week and take a walk through the wetlands in the back of the neighborhood. I'll snap some red wing black bird pics, too!