Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The Post I Don't Want to Write

Our beloved companion and family member, Silky, lost her battle with cancer Saturday night. I am thankful that she was at home with us and we spent a lot of time with her that day. Also, thanks to many readers for your kind comments over the past month or so.

I cannot really express what Silky meant to us, especially after the kids had moved on to college and a career, leaving us with the "empty nest". She was a wonderful dog and Linda and I are trying to slowly dig out of the deep hole that is left here. The feeling is made more bearable, though, by fourteen years of great memories.

I told Linda I think I'm good for one more dog, but not for quite a while. This last one left big paw prints to fill.

We miss you, girl.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Chris and I have lost four kitties over the years, and I know how their passing leaves a huge whole in your heart.

Gerald Neily said...

Once there was a dog
Who used to romp and run
Now there is a graveyard
In the setting sun

Oh good ole shep was a good ole friend.
Loyal good ole shep
He was loyal to the end

- Bruce Narimore

Jen said...

...and I didn't want to read.
I am so sad for you both.
I know that feeling too well.
Take care.

Jessica said...

I'm sitting here reading this with my two curled up next to me. I cannot imagine the grief when I lose one of mine. I have never had to experience that yet.

I'm so sorry Ben. You gave her a fantastic home and life for 14 years and in return she loved you unconditionally.

Ben said...

Thanks, everyone. Passage of time starts to heal these things and it leaves good memories.

Connie said...

I am very sorry to hear of the loss of your beloved pet. I have experienced this several times as well. Time and the memories do help the healing.