Friday, January 23, 2009

W.O.F. 48 SHARK TEETH!!!!!

I spent a couple weeks for three summers of my childhood at a YMCA camp, Camp Conoy, on the western banks of the southern Chesapeake Bay. The site of that camp is now a nuclear power plant, so it would be hard to go back and gather my memories.

Anyhow, one of the highlights for me was going down to the beach and sifting through the sand for shark teeth. They were in fair abundance. Here is a picture of my collection.

And in case you wonder, the little pouch that I use to hold these dental specimens was in fact a craft project undertaken while at Camp Conoy. Note the perfect stitching (he said, sarcastically).

These teeth are not huge; the largest ones are maybe 3/4 of an inch long or so. But I have a feeling that you put several of them on one jaw, apply some shark-like pressure, and you can do some serious damage (and pretty much eat whatever you want).
Somehow this reminds me, February is Pet Dental Health Month. Have 'em checked out, folks!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My what sharp teeth you have!

Minerva said...

Yup. The only thing left down there in Lusby is Camp Canoy Road. I hear there's lots of sharks teeth and fossils to be found on the cliffs, though.(If you don't mind being a little radiated..just kidding.)

Jen said...

Oh this is weird. Do sharks lose their teeth or are these from ones that die?

Ben said...

I am guessing that they lose their teeth and keep on chewin'