Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The Prisoner Escapes


Man, I hate it when this happens. I had just gotten my complete DVD set of all seventeen episodes of the Prisoner. I had sat down and watched three or four of them, introducing my son to them, convincing my wife once again that my tastes can tend toward the surreal.

I was reliving the 1968 series about how the individual can buck the system and, if spirited and persistent enough, he or she can eventually break free. Then I read the news today, oh boy.
Sadly, the creator and mind behind the series, Patrick McGoohan, made his final escape on Tuesday at age 80. It makes the whole experience of re-experiencing the series a bit bittersweet.

As oddball as the show was, it still resonates somehow with me - to varying degrees, many of us are prisoners of various "villages", whether of our design or of others'. And, to varying degrees, we find our means to escape.

RIP, Number Six.

Be seeing you.

5 comments:

reliv4life said...

there are many different kinds of "prison" in life! some self created, others imposed on us! Here's to all of us breaking free!!

Anonymous said...

Chris & I watched this series last summer. We rented it from Netflix. We are both science fiction lovers and were blown away by this show.

Jen said...

I had to go to Wiki for this.
I must not have gotten that channel. lol
Well all things do seen to have a second go, so maybe someone will create a movie or a new series for you.

Ben said...

Actually, there is some sort of revised new mini series in the works - it may show up somewhere this fall. I doubt it will touch the original, but, hey...at least the special effects will probably be a step up.

Minerva said...

Being a little younger than you but living in the same house, I remember being a little freaked out by the big bubble that came after Patrick. But then I watched the re-runs in my early married life, and enjoyed them.