Friday, January 9, 2009

W.O.F. 46 My First Camera

This one is sure to date me. Here we see my first camera, a Kodak Brownie 20. It took "127" film", as I recall. Talk about the basics: you just stuck the spool in in the innards of the thing and wound it over the center where the shutter was.

I only took a handful of rolls of film when I had this, as I was a kids with limited pocket change, and developing film and printing photos was not all that cheap (to me).

I used to borrow friends' 35 mm cameras in college and had a good time with it, and then we inherited the 35 Minolta that friends used to take pictures of our wedding. I used it off and on, but never really got the photography bug until digital photography came to the fore. Now you can shoot all you want, keep what you like, delete the rest, send pictures around the world via email, stick 'em on blogs like this or web site albums, and only pay to actually print what you like. How cool is that?
Weird, or at least interesting, objects are posted every Friday by several of the bloggers listed to the right. Check them out!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you hear that polaroid has a new digital camera that is coming out in March? It does everything that a digital camera does and it prints pictures too.

Minerva said...

Cool camera. Kind of sparks my memory.
I wonder if you can still get film? Then again, why would you want to?

Jen said...

I still have my original brownie too. It's the little black one, Brownie Bullet. I looked for film a few years ago unsuccessfully or too expensive can't remember.
I have pictures that I took with it when I was a kid.
I think it's really weird how the cameras have changed and that we hang on to these old useless gadgets.

gerry said...

Do you still have any of the pictures you took?

Ben said...

Haven't looked for film for years. We do shoot some occasional 35 mm film still. Mostly my wife uses it.
I think I have some black and white prints from the Brownie camera somewhere (I recall pix of a trip to Gettysburg with cousins).