Wednesday, December 31, 2008

You Can Go Home Again

I "go home" two or three times every year, back east where I grew up, to see my Dad, my sister and her family, and a small number of friends whom I still keep in some sort of touch with. This time we brought a car load - with Linda and me, the son, and the daughter and son in law, as well as their (thankfully) small dog, Lilly, a pug who is short on most mental skills but who possesses that "strangely cute" appearance that can win people over.

Two sets of pictures from the trip: First, from an hour spent walking up the main drag in downtown Ellicott City, Maryland. This town proves that in an age of dying shopping malls and vacant big boxes, the 1800's business model for retail sales can work here and there. Of course, Ellicott City has carved out an antique-y, arts-n-crafts, sorta upscale, funky, quasi-Appalachian niche that seems to serve it well.

Every time we go through there, which is a lot as it is between my Dad's and my sister's, the place is jumping. Even late at night.

One thing that is intriguing to this midwestern, flatlander transplat is the topography of the place. The road reaches up through a low point and the buildings fronting the road tend to have hills rising behind them. In some, you can walk in the front on the first floor, and out the back on the third floor. It lends a lot of character to the place. Hostorically, Ellicott City is the terminus of the first passenger train, out of Baltimore. And the site of the old National Road that is now Route 40 when you can still find it.

Second group of photos - Lilly got to meet her, um, I have no idea what her relation would be - her owner is Bella's owner's niece. Anyway, it was puggle meets pug (and Boston...and, through a glass door, ferret being ferret-sat).



We all got home safely and, while sad that the visit is over, it's always kind of nice that after I got to go visit "back home", we got to return to the home we have made back in the flatlands of northwest Ohio.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the Pug pics! Also the ones of Ellicott City are good. :) And of course I like the new picture at the top of the page! Where ever did you get it? J/K Happy New Years!
Emily

Ben said...

OK, it should be mentioned that the picture at the top is of a Christmas town designed by my lovely daughter, Emily, in her apartment.

Jessica said...

I love old towns like that and I bet I could find some cool stores to rummage around in.

Sleeping dog photo.... cute!

Jen said...

The terrain in Eliot City appears to be similar to Cincinnati;(near me. I think this Rt 40 is the same one that goes thru Zanesville--if so, I lived right off of it growing up.
LOVE the dogs!! Glad you all had a good time, your sister seems like a nice lady. ;)! Happy New Year!!

Ben said...

Route 40 generally follows I-70 (which also splits through Zanesville) so, yup, same one. It cuts right across Ohio, and used to tbe THE way to head west for us Baltimoreans (or, as some say, Baltimorons).

Unknown said...

So you farmed out some of the critters to local friends? I can't imagine what traveling with Ana would be like! Talk about hyperactive!

The shot of the dogs all standing at the door is quite good...

Ben said...

Hey Gary - back from your annual pilgrimmage too, eh? Our dog stayed home with friends looking in on her and spending some quality time. Ana stayed with her "paternal grandparents". No, I cannot imagine 8 hours in the car with Ana.

Anonymous said...

I love Ellicott City Too, Your pictures remind me of two summers ago when Chris & I visited Margaret & Miles. Happy New Year Ben.

gerry said...

Glad you had a good trip. I love Ellicott City also. I love the water that flows under some of the houses. It has always intriqued me. Happy New Year.