Wednesday, December 17, 2008

one's misfortune is another's good fortune

The weekend started as one of those sequences where gravity and other laws of physics just do not cooperate with how one wants to run one's life. I smacked down about a third of a box of Cheerios onto the floor - much to the dog's liking. She got her share of oats that morning.
Things got better - we had friends of Linda's from college, who still get together with us regularly 35 years hence - for our own Christmas celebration. It was a good time.

We played this game called Quelf. The game is pretty insane. If you get roped into playing, be forewarned that you will get asked to carry on like a mad person. But it is great fun when everyone in the game is following their own oddball instructions. Just to give you one example, our daughter was instructed at one point to say the following anytime someone laughed (which was often): "I COMMAND YOU to be SILENT!!!"
The weekend we spend with these people is always a special time, and 2008 was no exception, even if we did tone down the gift giving in lieu of small checks written to local food banks, which need them more than ever these days.

Then I had to go to Columbus on Monday and Tuesday for a departmental meeting - and a very nice dinner at Brio - an excellent Italian restaurant. I got a little Christmas shopping done, since we were located in the heart of one of the City's largest retail mega complexes ("Polaris", for those who know their central Ohio).

Now it's back to the hum of the computer, the incessant gibberish of the parakeets, and the whining of the dog to take a walk in the 19 degree weather (it wasn't too bad, and she kept a pretty good pace going).

Oh, one more cool thing: The woodpeckers are showing up, as they do in the winter. Always good to see Mr. Red Bellied. Looking forward to the break coming up!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I once had a cat food spill like that, Rikki was overjoyed. What magnification of zoom do you have? I am trying to figure out how to take better bird pictures.Yours are great and I'd like to be able to take close ups like that too.

Ben said...

The trick to those particular pictures are the birds are on a tree about two feet from our kitchen window! My zoom is 12x I think. Maybe 10x. Good, not great.

Jen said...

I'd like to check oout that Quelf game-I love to play games. And if I have to act like an oddball, it should be easy for me.

Good woodpecker pictures. I just can't bring myself to feed the birds; I know you understand.

Ben said...

Jen - I understand. It would encourage them.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the advice. I was going to get a zoom lens for my old camera, but I ended up getting a new camera with a zoom. I can't wait to try out that lens on the birds.