Thursday, December 25, 2008

W.O.F. 44 Classic Lionel

I'm not going to be at the computer tomorrow, so this week's WOF comes a day early (and thus, I guess, becomes a WOT or WOTh..)

As I was showing ornaments from the family tree last week, my sister asked "Where's the train?" This prompted me to head up to the closet, pull down a pretty heavy box, trudge back down to the tree, and spend some time laying out the O27-gauge track, wiring in the transformer, and sticking the cars on the track. So here it is - the 1950's vintage Lionel, now looping its way around the base of the tree and completing the scene and our decor.
As I think about it, I am not sure what the train imagery brings to the whole Christmas experience, aside from being THE present for a boy to receive about a half-century ago. But, then, we bust out rabbits and eggs at Easter, so I suppose it doesn't all have to make total sense.

I hope everyone who stumbles across this post is enjoying some good times with whomever they choose, feeling pretty good about 2008 and hopeful about 2009, and maybe even catching a nap!
Peace.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks like a pretty impressive set up. Enjoy your train, your tree and your Christmas too!

Minerva said...

Man, I only wish I could hear that hum to bring back the memory in full.
I think it also had a distinctive "electricky" smell when it was running. I'm sure if I smelled it, the memory would come rushing back, too.

Merry Christmas

Jen said...

Trains are popular at Christmas...?
It looks like it still is in working condition too, that's great!

(and that pup looks just like my Betty, with it's tail trimmed off!!!!)

reliv4life said...

I found you at unglazed! Love the train, we got lazy and quit putting ours out - you are inspiring me to get it out though! Is that a chihuahua? so cute!!

Jessica said...

My hubby would love that train. Happy 2009!

Ben said...

Welcome, reliv! I had neglected to put the train out last year so I was determined to get it out this time. Glad I did.
That is my daughter's dog - part fox terrier and, believe it or not, part Boston Terrier (we can't see it). We are visiting my sister and we took their other darlin' along, a puggle. Pretty funny watching her fit it with Margaret's Boston and full (and I mean full) pug. Will post a pic when we get back.