Friday, December 19, 2008

W.O.F. 43 Objects from the Tree

Not really that weird this week, just seasonally appropriate. Here are a handful of the ornaments bedecking our tannenbaum this Christmas, chosen not so much for their weirdness as for their meaningfulness.
First, the ribbon candy ornaments. My mom used to collect ribbon glass, and she liked a box of ribbon candy at Christmas as well. Throwing these ornaments on the tree helps me remember Christmases past.
My wife Linda likes the comic strip, Peanuts, and she is especially partial to Snoopy. Hence the dog is in the house and on the tree.
Our daughter once had a big thing for hippos. She had over 100 stuffed, ceramic, and otherwise constituted 'potamuses at one point. This ornament remains as a reminder of the collection.
This thing below is out of focus, poorly lit, and it looks like it's about to go off and tear the roof off the place. I am not sure of its history or origin. Perhaps I should find out. Also, somewhere on the tree is an ornament that has always reminded me of the satellite, Telstar. If you remember Telstar, man, you're ANCIENT. (Extra points if you remember the instrumental of the same name by the Tornados.)
This one here below is new to me. I guess it is for all the ships plying the navigable waterways in the area so they don't run atree.
This one is just kinda cool looking.
And finally, the tree itself.
I hope that whoever stumbles across this blog entry is in the midst of a merry time. (As for us, we are off to what is intended to be the LAST shopping expedition necessary).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have a very pretty tree. I love the glass ribbon candy ornaments. They're really beautiful.

Minerva said...

I put up my ribbon candy ornament y'all gave me, and thought of you.
The tree looks great, but where's the train???

Jen said...

Looks like you brought your dead conifer back to life. Very pretty!

I remember ribbon candy. Oh so good. Telstar and the Tornados not so much.

Ben said...

Marg, the train's a-comin'. Just a little late, as trains often are.