Friday, July 4, 2008

scenes from a parade

For the fourth year, I think, our church participated in the Fourth of July parade. We had a sort of Noah's Ark theme going, although we did not collect two of every stuffed animal available so we were perhaps not scripturally correct. Anyhow, we handed out water, a little candy, and quite a few dog biscuits! It was a fun morning. Here are a handful of shots, most from the perspective of someone on the float (as is the "banner" photo up top).
We were positioned behind a baton twirling group. They were quite cute and all, but we got to hear their routine, to a medley of sixties hits, forty-seven times (I exaggerate, but the Four Seasons are now forever singing "Sherry" in my head).
Here is the high school band, mustering and lining up before marching off onto the street.
And then, off we all went...

5 comments:

gerry said...

I love small towns. Where people actually know each other. Where the local kids sports team are the most important news. My town, Westminster is like that. When I moved from Baltimore, Charles and I were looking for mantle. We went to the local antique shop and found one we liked, but we weren't sure it was the right size. The owner said, just take it home and try it out, if it is right come back and pay me. Just bring it back if it is not. We thought we were on another planet. On a holiday like today, the local parade and Farm museum fireworks are something not to be missed.

Minerva said...

I've never been in a parade. Was it fun to do? Looks like it. Guess they wouldn't let me drive the wienermobile next year, huh?

Jessica said...

I love a local home town parade!! And I'm with Gerry... I love small towns. Wow, for a small town there were sure a lot of people linning the streets to watch. That is wonderful!

Ben said...

I believe much of the county comes in to watch the parade, which boosts the numbers. It is kind of fun being in the parade (I was fairly occupied handing water bottles to kids to hand out to folks on the sidelines..and taking pictures occasionally). And, small town and all, it's nice to see a few people you actually know along the way. Margaret - I'd tell you to apply for the wienermobile job, but I think I read they have full time drivers on the payroll. Dang! That would be a fun ride!

Ben said...
This comment has been removed by the author.