Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Escape from the Office


It was but for an hour and a half, but it was fine. I met with some people involved in economic development at a local restaurant located on the Sandusky River, and helped guide everyone through a two-hour meeting to review a county comprehensive development plan while we chomped on our perch sandwiches and french fries. I brought the meeting to an end at promptly 2:00, whereupon we boarded one friend's boat for ninety minutes up and down (technically, I guess, down and then up) the river. The weather was hot but there was a breeze, and we were on the water so all was well.
Do you think the people who live here enjoy it?

It had been some time since I had been cruising on any body of water, aside from Lake Erie. It was somewhat reminiscent of my childhood, when I got quite a few chances to get out on various tributaries of the Chesapeake Bay. Of course, this river was different than the Bay of my youth, because (a) both shores are just right there, a couple hundred feet away; (b) no tides to deal with (c) that smell of salt water is just not there.
I was hoping for a train

But some things are the same. The friendliness among the brother/sisterhood of boaters. Every time another boat passes, everybody waves at everyone else. And why not wave? People are happy that they are out on the water and not in some office.

While the people out on the water were pretty much quite satisfied with their present lot in life, other critters were working the river, putting food on the table (or actually just down the gullet). But they must know they have a good thing going, too.
I was wishing I had my better camera to take shots like this

We got within about five miles of serious bald eagle country, but had to turn back and get back to work. I'll save that for a future trip, as our kind captain invited us back.

I can see why songs and poetry about rivers abound. They just lead themselves to creative urges and inspiration, from Stephen Foster to John Fogerty. I suppose the people of Cedar Rapids, Iowa and too many other places may have a few words on the awesome destructive power of the river, but here on this lazy afternoon, the water just licked at the shore and our passing motorboat did no more than turn the head of a curious heron.

6 comments:

Minerva said...

Ah, lucky you. It looks like alot of fun. Reminds me of Grandpa's "Seabreeze".

Jessica said...

What fun. And you got to do some birding while you were on the river too!!

Minerva said...

Ooops-bad memory...I meant Grandpa's boat, the "Sea Fever"

Ben said...

Yeah, Mike was nice enough to slow down and try to sneak up on a couple of the herons, which worked up to a point.
and yeah, I knew you knew it was Sea Fever, Margaret.

Jen said...

And you were on the clock while you did all this goofing off? lol

Ben said...

We were in deep discussion of business related matter the entire trip. Yep, I'm stickin' to that.