Monday, May 26, 2008

Summer Kicks Off

Our daughter's in-laws can always seem to draw a crowd of relatives and hangers-on (such as ourselves) for a great pot-luck picnic, and Memorial Day seems to be a tradition with them. So we put some food together (including an amazingly good watermelon), thankful for the invite, and headed down. Here are some scenes from the gathering that do not so much involve the actual people involved as other dwellers in the area, although for starters, here is the rowboat that has been in my family since my Grandpa bought it to keep us cousins occupied on the water back in '63 or so.
Then here is our daughter's dog, who wanted to get at that blade of reed grass or whatever it is, but did not want to get very wet. So she stretched toward it and barked at it repeatedly. Didn't do too much good.
They have horses down there. Two big ones and two pretty new young'uns. The larger ones make for a pretty good ride.
Then I need to include the following couple of shots for my sister's benefit. Anyone who knows her knows that these should be special to her...
There's a pretty substantial pile of dirt next to the pond, and it is a magnet for small children. I am guessing there will be a few baths tonight...
And so, with a splash of the oars, a woof, a neigh, a ribbit, and a few giggles from the dirt pile, summer is underway.

5 comments:

Minerva said...

Yay! My favorite animal, captured in great pictures! I just love horses!
(Ok, I'm messing with you...)

Ben said...

I can tell you love horses by that lovely picture of a "horse" there by your message!

Jessica said...

Come on summer... bring it on!!

Ben said...

Summer would be nice - it is CHILLY out tonight, I'll tell ya!!!

gerry said...

There is nothing better than time spent with loved ones. Tradition is such a wonderful thing. Whether it is a special outing or a family recipe, it brings joy and comfort to our lives in such difficult times.