Sunday, January 31, 2010

A-Z Munchin' Monday: Birthday Burger

presentation is everything...

I raided the Streetpolo archives for this shot, but it is the most important food item in my world that I could come up with for the letter B. We're talking BURGERS, as in HAM-BURGERS. Come to think, why HAMburgers and not BEEFburgers? I suppose it's a German thing dealing with geography. Hamburgers, Frankfurters...And I am too pressed for time to research this one just now. Feel free to google or wiki that one amongst yourselves...

The deal was, Mom would cook us whatever we wanted for dinner on our birthday. My sister would go for something fairly classy, like shrimp. For me? It had to be hamburger, mashed potatoes, and peas. For dessert, I NEEDED a marble cake. NO SUBSTITUTIONS!

This has gone on for about a half a century; skipping only my college years. When I left my family for fame and fortune, I was fortunATE enough to meet a fine woman who would take over the duties of plying me with the annual 'burger, mashed spuds, and peas. AND she bakes a wonderful marble cake. The tradition continues unabated! We seldom eat peas, ever, except on that magical day. Burgers and mashed potatoes, more often. But that combo is reserved for just that one special day every year.

It cannot be stopped.
Viva la burger!!!

8 comments:

Connie said...

Sounds like a perfectly fine birthday meal to me! How fun that your wife still carries on the tradition that your mom started when you were young. Looks pretty good too! :D Happy "B" week, Ben.

Cassie said...

You and my hubby sound like the ruling burger kings! I've never eaten a hamburger though I sometimes like their smell. Love mashed potatoes and peas though. Yum. It's almost midnight here and I'm getting hungry. Time to raid the icebox!! Happy Monday.

Jen said...

Happy Monday Ben.
The term hamburger originally derives from the German city of Hamburg, Germany's second largest city, from where many emigrated to America.

That's the quick wiki reason.

Burgers are good - a little catsup or cheese and I'm good to go.

Anonymous said...

You sound like my husband; he loves peas when I have mashed potatoes! That's a great birthday tradition. Next time you grill, put on an "Eisenhower" bow tie though!!!!!

Minerva said...

Ah yes, I remember eating your birthday dinner growing up. But then, we had that dinner all through the year without the cake!

Now I have a craving for mashed potatoes...

Najia said...

Wait, Cassie's never had a burger!???!!! I learn something new about all my bloggie pals every day. I guess that's the point of blogging!

I just love, love, love your birthday tradition. I like peas or corn with my mashed potatoes. The absolute BESTEST hamburger I ever ate in my entire life was in 1986. I had shingles and was really, really sick. I was in 6th grade. My mom made me a homemade burger and homemade french fries. To this day, Ben, I have not had a better burger & fries meal. I love moms.

Unknown said...

Happy Burger Birthday, Ben! OOOOH so many B words.

Nothing is better than ground beef. I could make about a zillion different variations, many with mashed potatoes. Does your wife ever smash the potatoes with the skins on them? Quite good!

Sorry I'm late with my B comments. It sucks to be on vacation! :))

Cliff said...

Funny, I was eating a HAMburger as I came to your blog, but instead of mashed spuds, Kathy gave me some Wavy Lays.

Now you could tie this into meeting Ralph, Potsie and the Fonz at Arnold's.