Sunday, January 24, 2010

Here We Go with Culinary A-Z Mondays!

Well, Jen over at Unglazed has come up with another concept for A-Z Mondays: FOOD!
I'm pleased to join in the fray, although I am about as wonderful a cook as I am a neurosurgeon. You wouldn't want me there for either gig.

But there are foods - some of them not so good - that bring back happy memories, or that figure in some back story, so it might be fun to recall them. Fun for me, anyway. Not sure how much it will engage the reader! So let's kick this thing off with our A entry, which is:

APPLE JACKS!
Who here hasn't enjoyed a nice bowl of this delightful Kellogg's confection? The Cheerio-like substance with the little bumps of apply goodness on it? Well, I don't eat the stuff, because I had an overdose back in the 1960's. Here's why:

It was not for love of the cereal, especially, although as sweetened cereals go, it isn't bad. The taste is subtle enough. Better than frosted sugar bombs. But the thing was, my bud Gerald and I were, at age 12 or 13 or thereabouts, kinda heavily into cars back in the mid 60's, and I especially liked the looks of the Plymouth Barracuda, one of those sorta sleek "fastbacks".
Apple Jacks began a "win a Barracuda" promotion, and regardless of my status as a legal driver, I needed a 'cuda, so did Gerald, and we made the commitment to eat as much Apple Jacks cereal as we could force down, to plow through enough boxes to send a truckload of box tops (or whatever was required) in to win this thing.

The Apple Jack-a-thon went on in our households, at the breakfast table, for weeks. I cannot believe how accommodating our parents must have been at the grocery store. We must have been cruising through one to two boxes a week per household, maybe three on occasion.

So that's the deal with Apple Jacks. They held a special place at my table for a while, but ultimately, they did not deliver...

10 comments:

Connie said...

I never cared much for Apple Jacks, but my sons like them. I'm sure I'd like them even less if I ate a bunch of them to try and win a car and then didn't win! HA! This was fun to read, Ben.

Anonymous said...

What a cute memory. Sounds like something my brother might have done also!!! Love that car.

By the way, I heard from Oma at A Walking Widow blog this weekend. She was in the hospital for 42 days and is currently traveling 100 miles to receive radiation treatment. I was so happy to have an update from her and thought you would want to know also.
Have a great week.

Jen said...

This is hilarious!!

Was their slogan wasn't 'jumpstart your day with Apple Jacks' ? Ha!

Happy Monday Ben!

Minerva said...

You failed to mention that your sister ate at least 2 bowls before every school day as well. I tell this story to my kids. They both know why Mom can't stand Apple Jacks.

Loui♥ said...

Hi Ben..
I loved Apple Jacks..
still enjoy them..
occasionally!!
warm hugs!
Loui♥

Cassie said...

Awww, so sorry you didn't win the car. Do you suppose anyone really did?? Glad I didn't want a car then, as I never liked Apple Jacks. There used to be cool stuff in and on the cereal boxes in our time didn't there?! Happy Monday.

Unknown said...

Ben, I just knew your A food word would be extremely entertaining! One of my best friends had a 67 barracuda! I had a 67 Camaro that cost $4K. I think it would be worth more today. The sad part is, I traded it in for a 70 Opel Kadet station wagon.

Gerald Neily said...

Never had Apple Jacks since 1967. Not even once.

Ben said...

Sounds like people are all over the board on Apple Jacks.I don't blame you,Daisy; we were just doing what we needed to. we'll leave it to Loui!
Mildred - thanks for the update. I hope things are going well, treatment-wise.
Jen, I don't remember that slogan, but that doesn't mean anything!
And thanks for doing you part, sis.
Cassie, I do remember some cool cereal boxes - things to do on the back, etc. And yes G.J., that Camaro would be worth quite a bit if it's in good shape.
I join Gerald - on the Apple Jacks wagon!

Najia said...

I've never even heard of Apple Jacks, how interesting! What a great story for the letter "A"...you make me laugh multiple times per week.

I've always loved old American muscle cars. When were in Italy there was a '68 or '69 yellow Corvette Stingray parked on a street, and everyone was stopping to take pictures in front and at the side of it. Meanwhile, there were literally 5 or 6 Bugatis and Ferraris parked all around it. Everyone was much too interested in the yellow banana from America. How cool is that? :-)