Sunday, January 3, 2010

Z-A Monday Finale: All's Well....

At eleven, with much anticipation, Wendy arrived and they ate at Arnie's, a diner on Applewood Avenue. They chose a booth away from all others, feeling just a little awkward.

“Aw, Wendy, it's awfully good to see you.”

“I wanted to see you, too. Absolutely.”

'Absolutely'! That was assuring.

“Anyhow, I want to apologize. I feel I went away and abandoned you. I was...aimless. I had some adventures and all that, went through a lot of automobiles, but I have to admit it was not the most adult thing to do.”

“Well, it's not like you went astray...and I was too apprehensive...”

“But I feel I pulled us apart. And that's awful. Anyhow, while I was away there was this accident, and it makes me approach life differently.”

“I heard about the accident. From my friend Alice. She lives in Kentucky, in Anderson. You were on the Action News or whatever. I admire what you did.”

“Anyhow, all 'heroics' aside, I want to aim for what's important. It's sort of an awakening for me. One area is my work. Three of us are acquiring the Bijou, to bring arts and music to town. We'll book acts at the auditorium, reach as wide an audience as possible. It's an attempt, anyway. The accolades will come later.”

“That's awesome, Xavier.”

Approval. Yes!

“So I want to make amends with you. More, actually. My adventures showed me it's important to account for whom you associate with. It took me the whole alphabet to appreciate that.”

“What?”

“Never mind. I've anticipated too much and appreciated too little. I mean, I'm all over America, looking, and I abandon this attractive, amusing, absolutely awesome answer right here.”

“I'm an answer?”

“You're an angel.”

An artful if a bit audacious thing to add, he thought. He touched her arm and continued.

“I just wanted to air this all out. It's not just affection, Wendy. Absence has made my heart grow, you know... It's...well...the French say 'amore'”.

“Xavier, I....I feel all that, too, although I admit I'm an Anglophile...awful with French.”

Aha! Time to advance the argument! Assemble the Army! Attack!

“So, I see no alternative but to ask: Will you accompany me, to the altar, and afterwards?”

“Are you asking....?”

“Affirmative.”

“Oh, always, Xavier, for afterwards, for always!” She advanced toward him.

Not actually the word “yes”, Xavier thought, but just as acceptable. Very acceptable...and for the last Z-A, alphabetically appropriate!

12 comments:

Connie said...

Aw...I just love a happy ending! I laughed out loud at "went through a lot of automobiles." Yes, he certainly did that! Great wrap up to this adventure, Ben. I've enjoyed Xavier's story very much. Happy Monday to you! :)

Jen said...

Happy Monday Ben!
Well I don't feel so bad about A-Z ending now since it seems Xavier is safe at home and finally has some direction in his life and Wendy back by his side.
Good timing. HA!
Your posts have been Awesome A+ material.Thanks!
Adios.

Cliff said...

You are the winner of a coveted Top Banana. come on over and claim your prize.

Cassie said...

What An Awesome way to end this Accounting of Xavier's life. Wasn't Autobiographical was it?

Happy Monday!!

Busy Bee Suz said...

Oh, this is wonderful!!!
I was hoping for a happy ending, and I got it!!
Great job Ben...you are Awesome!

Loui♥ said...

Loved the adventure..
thanks for taking me along for the ride..
absolutely awesome!
afterwards?
affectionate hugs..
Loui♥

Minerva said...

AAAwwwwwww.....

A happy ending.

A+!

Anonymous said...

Hi Ben, I have enjoyed visiting with you (and Xavier) each week - you have AMAZING talent! Wishing you all the best in 2010 - don't be ABSENT - visit any time!!!

Ben said...

How could the ending not be happy, with a new year and our anticipation of good things all before us? It's been fun (but a bit draining...)! And great reading what matters to you all, from A to Z! And no, I cannot think of any part of this that was autobiographical (Well, there was that stint with some pirates back in the day...) And thanks for the Top Banana, WIXY! I shall display it when I revamp the blog soon...

Lynne said...

Hi Ben, What an Awesome Z to A you've had. Oops now I see several people have used that word already! Maybe I should have said Amazing or Awe-inspiring. Anyway... it was good fun and good to meet up with you. Also, a happy ending seems very Apt!

Gerald Neily said...

En Francais, c'est amour, a la Pepe Le Pew ou Monsieur Manus, n'est ce pas? Amore est Italienne a la Dean Martin. Streetpolo est la premiere blog dans Paris. Merci beaucoups !!!!!

Ben said...

Je Regrette, Monsieur Neily.
Dean Martin etais ne a Steubenville, dans L'Etats Unis. Pourtant, Louis L'Amour est a la Ouest.