Sunday, February 7, 2010

A-Z Munchin' Monday: Chef Boy Ar Dee


By now you are realizing that this A-Z survey of food ain't gonna be no gourmet column. This week's choice is Chef Boy Ar Dee Pizza. Why, you ask?

This was another important culinary icon from my youth. There were four of us homies: Gerald, Tom, Schletzer, and myself, who on a number of summer evenings would, for some reason, run around the neighborhood block four times (well, most of us would complete the course). This approximated a one mile run. Following the run, we would head over to Schletzer's kitchen, where we would proceed to make, bake, and devour one of these Chef Boy Ar Dee 'zas.

From what I can remember, the crust, when stretched out over a decent sized pizza pan, got so thin you could see the pan through the paper-thin dough. But it would cook up and taste pretty good to a bunch of guys still panting from their mile run. Ah, the memories. (Although I am not nostalgic enough to attempt to repeat this tradition).

More "C-food" at Jen's blog. Check it out.

9 comments:

Cassie said...

Hehe I so remember those pizza's in a box. Didn't discover them until I was in high school...never even had pizza until I was 14! I can just picture you guys running around the block in circles. I bet the girls were all leaning out their windows to get a good look!! The age of innocence.Happy Monday to you!

Jen said...

Happy Monday Ben!
Love this one.
My girlfriend and I (and this is when we were like aged 10, 11, 12) would make these All the time.
We always made different shapes with the dough, like a fish or something and decorated it accordingly. Oh so fun! and tasty!

Gerald Neily said...

You are just getting way too far into nostalgia. It's not that you're not nostalgic enough to try Chef Boy RD again, it's that the pizza sucked. There's a lesson in there somewhere. And I never ran that darn mile either.

Anonymous said...

I remember how thin and stretchy that crust would become. Fun memories for sure! Happy Munchin' Monday Ben.

Minerva said...

I don't think I've ever had one of these. But then, I never went in Schletzer's kitchen either.

It does make me curious to try one. But not that curious- It's easier to dial Pizza Hut's number.

Connie said...

We used to make these too. We'd put mushrooms and cooked sausage or pepperoni rounds on them. You really could see the pan through the thin crusts. Good memories! Happy "C" week to you, Ben.

Loui♥ said...

Ben..
ahhh..sweet youth!
I too learned about pizza in a box as a young married, trying to stretch my grocery dollars..
we usually had pizza as Friday nite fare..
It was good!
Back then, there wasn't much selection for comparison..
now I just keep a stash of frozen pizzas in the freezers for whenever..
warm hugs,laughing smiles
Loui♥

Unknown said...

You are a riot, Ben. I never had the Chef Boy Ar Dee pizza, but I had his Pa Sked E O's. Very cool C food.

Tertulia Andaluza said...

haha. It's true. I guess we shouldn't forget all those brands... But you should take up running first again!