Sunday, February 21, 2010

A-Z Munchin' Mondays: E E

OK, in this week's Healthy Gourmet blog (ha ha, big joke there) we are going for two points with the delectable, delightful...

ELEPHANT EAR

No, we are not referring to those giant flappy things on either side of an elephant's head.
Nor are we referring to the plant that bears this name.
We refer, of course, to that carny food sensation concocted from dough, sugar, lots of grease, probably some butter, and maybe some other bad stuff.
We hit the County Fair every year, and it is pretty much required of us to order up a plate with this thing on it, then spend some time walking the midway while stuffing gobs of this cholesterol-on-a-plate into our mouths. Not only is it filling, but it will also lube up your hands with enough grease that you won't have to shake hands with any of the politicians working the place: "Sorry, Commissioner, elephant ear, you know". Of course, your consumption of an E.E. will be obvious anyway, based on the powdered sugar or cinnamon lodged on various parts of your face.

There is an F-word closely associated with the E.E. I refer, of course, to the elephant ear's cousin, the funnel cake.
It is just as good, based on my culinary experience. I don't even know the difference, except I think that whereas the Ear is a pretty solid hunk of doughy mess, the Funnel's dough comes dripping out of some narrow device (probably a funnel, and hence its name), and you get this uneven, patchy thing on your plate, with a load of powdered sugar on top of it. We really don't discriminate much, and we usually end up with one or the other at the Fair. I believe it is easier for several people to grab hunks of funnel cake than ripping apart an elephant ear.

Anyhow, the smell and touch and greasiness on one's fingers is all part of the sensory wonderment of the Fair. As I listen to the drip, drip, drip of melting snow, that will probably freeze back up later tonight as the temps drop, making morning travel a challenge once again, I've got to say that I am pretty psyched for summer with its County Fairs and Street Fairs and elephant ears and funnel cakes.

12 comments:

Jen said...

Happy Monday Ben
They seem to deep fry everything these days; I wonder if the elephant ear might soon be extinct.

Anonymous said...

We found a delightful bakery recently and indulged in an elephant ear! EE and candied apples both remind me of the fair. Have a happy Monday Ben.

Connie said...

An elephant ear is a must have at our yearly Jubilee street fair here. I love those crispy things covered in cinnamon sugar. I'd much rather think about the summer fair right now too. Just found out school here is canceled for the day AGAIN--snow is coming down fast and furious this morning. Happy "E" week to you, Ben! :D

Dorothy said...

I wish you hadn't told me about those yummy looking things! As soon as Lent is over, I'll be forced to track down one of those!
Have a happy week!

Minerva said...

I've never had an E.E. but have had plenty of Funnels.
Do you walk home from the fair? Not because exercise is needed after eating one of those. I mean because you can't possibly get your car door open with all the grease on the hands!

Cassie said...

Now the first word that comes to mind is an S word. Stent, as in heart stent! We do love those funnel cakes too, so we'll see you in the OR!!

Unknown said...

Yummy! I have never had Elephant's Ear, but I love me some funnel cake!

I can always count on you, Ben to find a way to shorten my life without the aid of cholestoral reducing drugs!

Oh, and I would never miss an opportunity to shake hands with a politician while my hands were greased up.

Ben said...

In the interest of public health, I am considering having the letter L be brought to us by Lipitor.

Najia said...

Ben! I can finally and proudly say that I've had one of your A to Z picks. I love Elephant Ears!!!! Ooooh, so yummy. Have you ever had them with REAL hot chocolate? Out of this world.

You made me laugh out loud with the Lipitor comment. Hilarious. ;-)

オテモヤン said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Cassie said...

Hey Ben, Thought I'd drop back by to let you know that this post inspired me to go to the mall and get some cheese on a stick yesterday!! Talk about needing a stent...boy was that good stuff. From the stick to my clogged arteries!

Ben said...

Not sure I like being the inspiration for all this unhealthy consumption, but hey, enjoy!