Friday, March 21, 2008

Weird Window Sill Friday


I thought I'd just toss in the contents of my window sill at the office for my contribution to W.O.F. today. You may need to click on the picture to enlarge it and capture the details. Some of the objects of note, from left to right.

The can commemorates the opening of the old Sandusky County (Ohio) jail as the newly furnished County Commissioners' offices. Come to think of it, there may be some value in redoing jails as politicians' offices; it may save a step later, if you know what I'm driving at.

The ukelele and pineapple were given to another guy and me to use as props one year when we were asked to emcee our annual employees' appreciation day. I can't recall if I actually used them for anything, but it lends a festive, more tropical atmosphere as the weather forecasters call for up to six inches of snow over Easter weekend...

The little guy in front of the uke was given to me by an economic development delegation from Belarus that came through last year. Apparently he has some significance in Belarussian folklore or pop culture. I should research him.

The little tray-like thing has a picture of some ruins in Lebanon. Next to it is some wood carving of dolphins that came from, I think, one of those former Soviet republics.

The bottle in the middle contains maple syrup from somewhere around here. No, it's not a flask of Jack....

There is a painted wooden Russian egg in there. Happy Easter!

The baseball figure used to sound like the local Cleveland Indians' announcer, Tom Hamilton, when you smacked it. I think the batteries are long gone at this point.

The little dude in front of the pineapple came free with a meal at Burger King. In his prime, you could move his arm and his eyes would light up red. He was cool in the dark.

And over on the right is a ceramic snowman, a gift from another employee.

And there's a little toy maraca in there. I forget where it came from. I think it was from another employee appreciation day.

The blind is closed (a) to reduce back light and (b) so I don't see whether it is actually snowing out there yet.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is that purple thing in the front, to the left an anamethyst geode?

Minerva said...

Your blinds may be closed, but you better get rid or that ceramic snowman. He looks like he is grinning mockingly..

Ben said...

Good call, Pigeon. I just can't remember why it's there or where it came from.
And yes, I believe the snowman is indeed mocking me, and really all of us in northern Ohio.

Jessica said...

Wow, that could have been weeks and weeks worth of W.O.F.'s. My favorite is the dolfins carvings and the egg.

gerry said...

My favorite is the baseball-man, what makes it "weird" is a Baltimore boy being an Indian fan. Come on Opening Day!

Ben said...

Yes, Jessica, I will probably run out of WOFs and kick myself for not splitting them up.
And if Cleveland ever had to play the O's in some playoff, I would not know what to do. Odds are they will never be that good in the same year, though... (I still maintain my healthy hatred for the YANKEES no matter what)...