Thursday, June 17, 2010

A-Z Munchin' Monday - way early - V

V this week stands for VERY HOT FISH. While up in Wisconsin's Door County, we enjoyed the thrill of a uniquely local custom called a FISH BOIL. They've been doing this up there for 150 years or so. They heat up this kettle of freshly caught Lake Michigan Whitefish, potatoes, and nice mild onions. Then after 25 minutes or so, the man in charge hollers "Overboil!" and tosses some fuel upon the fire, making a mighty volcano out of the whole thing. They remove the food from the kettle, and serve up one heck of a delicious meal. I understand a lot of butter and salt is involved...Anyhow, I believe the pictures tell the story, so here it is.

I've been home 24 hours and have to ramble on again, and leaving my computer home for others to use, so I am posting this now, since I may not have another chance before Monday.
Happy Weekend!
-fin-

10 comments:

Unknown said...

You must have stopped at the same place we did- I recognize the chief boil guy...

Ben said...

Gary - It's called Pelletier's or something like that. The guy has a verbal description of what's going on most of the way through.

Connie said...

Oh my gosh! You wouldn't think there'd be anything left to eat if it came out of that fire. Looks delicious though. :-) Have a good weekend, Ben!

Jen said...

Overboil is right-I've done that, but it wasn't intentional. ha.
Have a great weekend Ben!

Anonymous said...

Very interesting post Ben. Like Jen, I've done something similar, but not on purpose!!!

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

What a dramatic way to good food. The fish doesn't look burnt at all. I suppose you don't get smoke fish either.

Have you heard of the New Zealand Maori hangi? They dig a giant hole more than one square yard. Build a big fire, but use only the embler after the fire had died down. Then they bury the food while it smokes away like a dying volcano. I was going to post venison, now I think I will post on hangi instead for letter V.

Cassie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cassie said...

Yikes! Never heard of such a thing for cooking fish,but the results look very tasty.

Now,Overboil!! Yup, that's a tradition my dad started in our family when he burned the bottom out of the coffee pot. I have followed in his footsteps melting the spout off of a copper tea kettle with Overboil!ha!

Hope you had a happy Father's Day.

Unknown said...

Holy moly! You could probably call that smoked fish too! Looks yummy

Minerva said...

Yum. Looks just as festive and fun as a Maryland crab feast.